primary churning!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekjohns

Reaction score
i tossed in some kolsch yeast last night into an oktoberfest and 18 hrs later the primary is actually churning as if someone was sturing it! airlock is going crazy, and yet no krussen. this common with kolsch?

I don't know w/ kolch, but I've had several ale yeasts that caused massive movement int he wort, it was really cool to see, the thing was like someone was stirring it...

Damn you, Ale Pail. Damn you and your white walls!

LOL

I just did my first batch in a Better Bottle and it was well worth it, just in terms of the entertainment value of watching the yeast churning inside the carboy. It's such a beautiful thing to see.

I'm with the Gnome - watching fermentation is good old fashioned entertainment.

LOL

I just did my first batch in a Better Bottle and it was well worth it, just in terms of the entertainment value of watching the yeast churning inside the carboy. It's such a beautiful thing to see.

Mine did that too when I pitched a British Ale wyeast into my brown ale. Was like someone was stirring it. Was really cool too see.

Does the light not skunk the beer if you have it in a better bottle and always watch it? Just how much light does it take to create off flavors?

On Monday I brewed a hefe and pitched some windsor yeast. On Tuesday you could see it rolling around in the carboy like an inebriated teen stuck in a mosh-pit.

Yeah, I think it takes more than a few minutes of indirect light exposure to skunk a bear. I don't worry about admiring the yeasties in action.

I shot a few short vids of my ale churning like mad, next batch I think I may use a webcam so I can watch the show live while I'm at work. Sad thing is I have friends that want to watch, they say its mesmerizing... like a beer lava lamp!

I just brewed a Kolsch friday with Wyeast Kolsch yeast and it's doing the same thing. I had to put a blow off tube on it because my airlock was full of krausen.

Back