First outside brew and new equipment!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumper

Reaction score
Well, I moved the brewing location from the kitchen, to the garage(detached) for the first time yesterday. I was extremely pleased with the results. I brewed an AHS Blue Moon Clone and did my first full boil due to some new equipment.

I used my new Bayou outdoor cooker running on propane. This works much better than the electric stove. Much faster boil and a more vigorous boil as well. Thanks to the SWMBO for the birthday present.

I also used my DIY immersion chiller as well. I made 50 feet of 3/8 copper tubing into a coil, attached two compression fittings to fit garden hoses, and put it in action. I was able to cool the wort down to 75 in 12 minutes. Of course it was cold here yesterday(28), so that cold ground water helped a lot. I ran the outlet water into a 6 gallon water jug at first and used the warm water in clean up after I pitched yeast.
If you don't have a wort chiller yet, put it near the top of your list. What a nice addition to brewing. Used to take me 45 minutes to cool in an ice bath.

I also used my first harvested washed yeast this time. It was WLP 400. Made a starter for 30 hours, cooled it, decanted and pitched. Had fermentation start in 8 hours.

It was a good day, and am waiting to bottle this with great anticipation.

Just wanted to share. I liked brewing in the garage/outside as well. Less distractions and better concentration.

Cheers,

much better in the garage!

to me one of the best parts is having music as loud as i want it :)

no cramping action either, my garage is pretty largish, so i have alotta room to move around and do other stuff when i brew.

much better in the garage!

to me one of the best parts is having music as loud as i want it :)

no cramping action either, my garage is pretty largish, so i have alotta room to move around and do other stuff when i brew.

This was one of the greatest benefits of being in the garage as compared to our somewhat small kitchen. I could move around and had plenty of counter top space albeit my work bench:)

Back