Worried about oxidation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geodanger25

Reaction score
So I just brewed my first batch of beer a double IPA and I am really worried that my buddy screwed me up. I did double fermentation and siphoned the beer into the bottling bucket, then I was told to pour it back into the fermentation bucket for dry hopping. I am really concerned about this step because I was told it was to air rate it. I then sealed and waited 7 days an siphoned it to the bottling bucket to bottle . I am not looking to age the beer, once it is done I doubt it will last a week I am just worried about the flavor does anyone have any advice of of what will happen.

Poured, like out in the open from high enough to splash around? Yeah, that's potentially bad. But any oxidation damage from that is done, so there's nothing to do about it. If you taste a wet cardboard flavor, that's from the oxidation.

In the future, if you only have the one fermenter, you can dry hop right in the primary.

So if I drink it fast will it still be hAlf way decent I have a feeling this is Guna be lesson learned the hard way

Just to be clear, it had already fermented some and then you poured it into another bucket to dry hop?

As everyone said, you don't want to aerate at that stage. The aeration is to be done before you add the yeast to your wort. This helps promote healthy yeast growth for your fermentation.

A lot of the information on this board can seem overwhelming. I think the main thing to keep in mind is that many of these steps will lead to better beer but it does not mean that if you miss one of them, avoiding exposing your fermented beer to oxygen, you will have a bad result. The more you brew, the more you will pay attention to all of these additional issues. Whether or not you can tast the difference, who knows. I am not sure that I can but I have fun with it.

As Chattan said, "It's still beer, drink it, it will be OK."

Simply put,

Once you've added your yeast to the aerated wort you should avoid exposing the beer to air/oxygen until you pour it into your glass.

bosco

As was stated,many of us dry hop in primary after the beer reaches Fg & settles out clear,or slightly misty. You don't want the hop oils coating the suspended yeast & going to the bottom. You didn't need to rack it to another vessel to dry hop. But if you do want to try dry hopping in a secondary,use a autosiphon with the tube running down half way round the bottom of the secondary. This will prevent oxidation from the transfer. Not to mention sanitizing everything 1st. Or if your fermenter has a spigot on it,hook the racking tube to the spout on the spigot & proceed as usual.
Nothing you can do to fiz this one. But only time will tell how much wet cardboard or sherry like flavor you'll get when it's ready to drink.

I guess you have figured out that pouring fermented beer like that is not a good thing to do.

Well, it is done now.

However, you may be OK. Oxidation leads to staling of the beer. That is, it will get old quickly. The effects are not immediate, but the beer will deteriorate quickly.

Drink quick and you may not notice anything.

I don't think it matters either way. As far as I know it won't get better or worse with age.

Actually, oxidation will get worse with age. You usually don't notice it to start with, then the wet cardboard flavors start to creep in, then they get bad.

Which is why you see the advice to potential oxidation issues is always to drink the beer young.

Back