DIY stir plate question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbuzz

Reaction score
If I find something to encase it in, does anyone see anything wrong with using the second rare earth magnet from a hard drive as the stir bar?

Was thinking I could encase it in a food grade plastic or something...

Thoughts?

Stir bar - $3.75 + 2 (shipping) = ~6 bucks

Erlenmeyer flask - ~$20

Cost of second Erlenmeyer flask - $20
+ $1000 for the pain of your wife calling you cheap...

See ebay + fisher stir bar

If I find something to encase it in, does anyone see anything wrong with using the second rare earth magnet from a hard drive as the stir bar?

Was thinking I could encase it in a food grade plastic or something...

Thoughts?

even encased in something, I don't think you'll get a spin - I think the two will "lock" on each other through the glass - preventing the motor from spinning, unless the motor torque finally takes over and throws the magnet.

Those things are just too strong. Stir Bars - are they magnets themselves, or just rods of steel, reacting to the spinning magnets on the motor?

They are magnetic. At least mine are. I have several of them and they all stick together.

Mines not magnetic I think they all come non magnetic but after lots of time around a magnet field they become magnetic......at least I think that's how we made a compass in boy scouts

So, perhaps encasing a 16d nail (cut to length inside of plastic tubing, silicone the ends, o-ring around the center - might make you a stirbar, Kbuzz

Magnetic Stir bars have a magnet embedded inside the Teflon covering. The stir bars can be damaged by overheating or sometimes by subjecting them to a strong shock (as in dropping one on a hard floor). Ideally, the magnetic stir bars should be stored in pairs stuck together magnetically to preserve their strength.

Back