thinking of a violet mead...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Litoris

Reaction score
Has anyone tried a violet mead? if so, how did you add in the violet? We are thinking of adding in violet syrup (I just finished bottling some last week) at the beginning, but have also toyed with waiting and back-sweetening with it when we bottle it. Any recommendations/pointers/anecdotes are appreciated.

I have eaten violets but not had any syrup made from them, they are pretty light in flavor so I think you would want to use your syrup to backsweeten it with instead of putting it in at the front where it might be lost. WVMJ

TBH, that is what I am thinking. The syrup is a super concentrate, so it has a lot of flavour. Also, back-sweetening, I can control the colour/flavour a little better.

I'd personally add dried violets to the primary and rack after a couple months. I have done this with heather and lavender, they are mellowing out nicely and have a great taste and aroma. Another 4 months before I bottle.

Back