WHAT in the bloody name of HELL is this?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunpowder

Reaction score
OK so I just brewed a batch of morebeer.com winter warmer and I just poured the wort fromvthe kettle to the carboy and haven't added the yeast yet and this is what I see.... I am sure I've done everything right. Is is supposed to look like this? This picture was taken literally a minute after the pour...

20121125_171936.jpg

That is a tremendous amount of cold break and trub...let it ferment though. If you give it at least a few weeks in primary all that material should settle out nicely.

Did you use a whirlfloc tablet? The first time I used whirlfloc this happened to me. It was quite a ways beyond anything I had experienced just using irish moss. I admit I did get a little weirded out but everything turned out fine.

Hot break.....cold break......totally normal....you are fine......it will settle out

PS ....make sure you cover that carboy with a black tee shirt or something to keep light off the beer ..

It's a glitch in the Matrix. It happens when they change something...

Seriously though, you're fine. Looks like break material/trub and it will settle out over time.

Seven said:
It's a glitch in the Matrix. It happens when they change something...

Seriously though, you're fine. Looks like break material/trub and it will settle out over time.

+1

I hate it when they change something!!

Thanks everyone! My nerves are calm now :-D. Its already starting to settle nicely. And yea I did use whirlfloc for the first time... the kit came with a tablet but I used about half of the tablet. I also think there is so much sediment because my new grain mill was set too finely and I think I pulverized some of the grain. Not too worried about that. Also I just learned that you can lose up to a gallon of water per hour when you boil.... obviously I knew there was some loss but not that much! so that was why my carboy looked so shallow even with the thick layer of sediment. I decided to add another 3/4 gal of spring water and now it looks pretty good. Thank God I have a 6 gal carboy or this sediment would've presented an issue.

Oh and thanks for the tip about the light, but a tshirt is not necessary for me. That carboy is in a special room in my basement with no windows and it only sees a couple of minutes of light when I check on it (like an anxious parent). All in all, it spends 23.5 hours a day in 100% darkness.

If I get too much break and trub in my fermentor then I'll wait to pitch as I'll rack it off.

That is a LOT of trub. I'd consider filtering the wort through a SS mesh screen of some kind to reduce the amount in the carboy. Not that it will hurt anything, but it's more ugly stuff and the less you have in there, the more room your krausen has before it starts creeping up through the airlock.

Has anyone mentioned a "blow-off" yet?

Anyway, the hot break and cold break material will go right through the mesh screen, but the larger hops particles will get caught and make your carboy look a lot less like something from the black lagoon.

OK so I just brewed a batch of morebeer.com winter warmer and I just poured the wort fromvthe kettle to the carboy and haven't added the yeast yet and this is what I see.... I am sure I've done everything right. Is is supposed to look like this? This picture was taken literally a minute after the pour...

Thread name grabbed my attention, post made me literally laugh out loud. Thank you for that lol.

I'm with Gear101 - it looks like wort. You should see what my Pumpkin Ale looked one minute after pouring it into the bucket.

Remember, if you were fermenting in an ale pail this thread wouldn't even exist. Pitch it and forget it! Let us know how great the beer is in a couple months. :)

I was thinking about doing a two stage.... after 7 days rack to a bottling bucket and using a ss mesh to try and catch some of that trub... cleaning out the carboy, and racking it back in for another week.

Remember, if you were fermenting in an ale pail this thread wouldn't even exist. Pitch it and forget it! Let us know how great the beer is in a couple months. :)

Actually, the morebeer recipe says 14 days fermentation, bottle, then 14 days carbonation and conditioning... so ill be letting you know how it tastes on Christmas day!

Gunpowder said:
Actually, the morebeer recipe says 14 days fermentation, bottle, then 14 days carbonation and conditioning... so ill be letting you know how it tastes on Christmas day!

At this point, HIDE the instructions. The yeast are in control, and they don't read. ;)

Well that's what the kits tell you because they want you to order more kits, plus old knowledge from when healthy yeast was less available. lol

I'd let it sit in the primary for 3-4 weeks, then warm condition in the bottles for 2-3 weeks, followed by at least 1 week of cold conditioning in the fridge to drop out sediment and such. It'll taste like good beer with 2 weeks primary and 2 weeks warm conditioned in the bottles, but the general consensus from the well-versed brewers around here is to just let it sit longer in each stage for a better beer.

:mug:

Please listen to the last post by metanoia....right on.....3 weeks primary minimum.

Please don't rack to bottling bucket then back to carboy....to much exposure to air....to many chances for infection...and NOT necessary....let it go 3 weeks min in primary and bottle it (check gravity first though to make sure finished).

Trust us :D

I usually wirlpool the pot after chilling, then rack to the carboy, eliminates 90% of all the trub floating around, and in my experience I've been getting clearer beers.

LMAO.....yeah....love the Yeastie Boys.

Nice Avatar jon.....little Regular Show to go with your beer.

I still chuckle when I see the title of this post.......its like something out of a horror movie. :eek:

I love threads like this--you can predict with 99% success what the picture is going to look like even before you open it up, as well as what the responses will be. There should be a feature for this site that funnels all new members through half a dozen mandatory threads, including such favorites as:

- Is this what my beer is supposed to look like? (trub version and krausen version)
- My beer has been in the fermenter for two days with no bubbles!
- Is my OG/FG too low/too high?
- Do I need to use a secondary?
- Beer's been in bottles for 10 days and doesn't taste good!

Would save a lot of effort and stress in the long run.

Back