Calibrate my Scale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Dog

Orange whip?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I fear my scale is off. I weighed up my pellet hops for tomorrows brew. All of the 1 oz packages weighed .9 oz. Is there anything around the house that I can use for a 1 oz standard?

Cheers!!! :mug:
Chris

(My 1st inclination was the HBS shorted me but it is more likely that my scale is off).

hrm, you could use water but then you would need something that could measure out water in mL fairly accurately.

1 Gallons = 3785.4118 Grams

/128 oz

= 29.57 g per oz of water

1 g water = 1 ml water

so if you can measure out 29.57 ml that'll do it

The smallest container I have for measuring water is the little cap that comes on Nyquil, it has a 30ml mark. It looks right but I have doubts that I measured 29.5 accurately. I have to go to the LHBS later, I will take the scale with me, maybe they can check it.

Scales are only accurate to abut 1/10 of their main reading.

You really need a 'standard' to check the accuracy of a scale. Since you are reading in ounces, you will want a 1 ounce standard. But doesn't this thing weigh in grams, too? :confused:

It could also be that the LBS isn't calibrated either....

My 32lb max scale was supposed to be accurate to +/- .1oz but you can see how that's not quite good enough for hops, especially high alphas. If it's really 1oz, it could read .9 or 1.1. If adding or removing 2 pellets or so isn't enough to change the reading, I'd be suspect. That's why I bought a 500g scale somewhere online for about $12 shipped. It's good for .01 oz accuracy.

It never fails you guys always come up with an idea. Thanks David.

My test was was to add nickels 1 at a time until I got to 100g. It was perfect up to 95g 1 more would read 99g.

Reading 99 out of 100 is not bad if that is the limit of readability on the scale. I find that most of the cheap balances I have used work better in the grams unit, espicaly if you only have the readout of a tenth of an oz, but can display single grams.

Go metric!

Back