Need first wine recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyhead22

Reaction score
Im new to wine. I like the concentrated juice recipe. The most I can find on the internet are partial or incomplete recipes for a cheap quick wine. I want to make it right. Can someone share a recipe with me for a 5 gallon batch? All ingredients when to add, when to rack, starting gravity and what gravity should be when it's time to rack over... All the details thanks!

Here you go:

1 gallon Welche's frozen concentrate wine

4 cans of Welch's frozen concentrate. (I like white grape peach but any flavor or combination could work)
1 TBS black tea (I use earl grey but most any black tea and many herbal tea's can work)
1 tsp DAP
1/2 tsp yeast energizer
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
Water to a gallon
Yeast: Lalvin 71b

The OG of this should be 1.080. This will ferment as low as .994 - .996. The wine can be left dry or you can add 1 crushed Camden tablet and 1/2tsp of sorbate and then back sweeten with sugar to taste.

Basically all the ingredients go in up front. Even the dry tea leaves. All that drops out into the lees as it clears. Expect fermentation to last as long as 2 weeks. Then place the wine in a fridge for another two weeks. You will be left with a crystal clear wine with some tightly compacted lees at the bottom. Slowly and carefully remove from the fridge and you can siphon of 4 750ml wine bottles of clear wine. You can get another couple of 12 oz bottles too but to get that last bit you may need to siphon off all the liquid into a new jar/carboy and place back in fridge because you will get some yeast sucked up. After 4-5 days you can bottle that clear liquid. If you can stand it leave the wine alone in the bottles for another couple weeks and then have at it. So 6 weeks and should be a decent wine.

I was hoping to utilize one of my extra fermentation buckets and make a five gallon batch. But I'll start off trying just 1. I'll try this. What is DAP?

For 5 gallons simply multiply everything by 5 - except the yeast. DAP is yeast nutrient. IMO, you should divide the nutrient into two batches. Add 1/2 the total 24 hours after you have pitched the yeast and then add the remainder about 3 or 4 days into the fermentation.

Add the pectic enzyme 12 hours before you add the yeast. I believe that fermentation neutralizes the effect of the enzyme. The enzyme is to help break down the pectin (protein) chains in the fruit and that helps with clarifying the wine

If I were you I would ferment the juice in a bucket that you cover with a cloth. What you want to be able to do is a couple of times a day stir the liquid to bring air into the must and allow the CO2 to escape. After the specific gravity has dropped to close to 1.005 you want to transfer the wine in this bucket into a carboy that you can "seal" with a rubber stopper and airlock. At this point you want to prevent the air making contact with the wine and so you want to have your carboy filled to within an inch of the rubber bung.

DAP = diammonium phosphate. Basically a free nitrate source as a yeast nutrient. Most any yeast nutrient variety will work. That is just what I like to use.

Oh I forgot to mention in those instructions when to back sweeten if wanted. Instead of siphoning off the bed of lees strait to bottles you siphon into a new jar/jug and add stabilizers then. After 24 hours sweeten to taste then put back into fridge to clear and after a few days bottle from that.

If you want 5 gallons just multiply all the ingredients by 5. If the concentrate is a bit pricy then you can reduce to 3 or 2 per gallon and add sugar to an OG of 1.080 but that will end with a wine with less body. I have only done this recipe in 1 and 3 gallon batches.

Back