spicy wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klcramer

Reaction score
A couple of years ago I started to grow ghost peppers. Not knowing what to do with them I tried a variety of different things. Some good, others not so good. One thing my dad came up with was a ghost pepper wine. He made a simple white wine and added one pepper to a bottle. Drinking this wine by itself is not recommended. That's not to say it doesn't have a good taste, because it absolutely does, it's just he spice will just about kill you. Now with that being said if you put about an ounce if this pepper wine in your glass and mix the rest with any other wine (I've only tried this with red wines) it comes out amazing in my opinion. I really think this will be the path wine takes in the near future. The next wine I want to try this with is going to be a ginger mead actually. I'm not sure what recipe I am going to use yet. I am open to any suggestions. I just wanted to throw this out there to get opinions on spicy wines and other thoughts.

I have a ginger mead aging now. I started it about October last year.

Heck lets look at the thread I started on it:

Ginger mead

Ok so just over 10 months old now. I really like it so far. I did mess up and did not wait long enough between adding stabilizing agents and adding some back sweetening honey so it is fermenting again SLOWLY. I think I may have upped the raisins if I was to re-do this. Probably closer to 8oz raisins compared to the near 2oz I used in that recipe. And also nix the ginger in the primary all together and just add the ginger to the secondary. Check it out and see if you like it.

Sounds like something fun to experiment with, I make a jalapeno wine that I might try it with.

I highly doubt that this is the future that wine will take. You are talking about an industry that a majority of the people in it have issues with synthetic corks or screw cap bottles because they are not traditional. Some people won't drink a wine with a screw cap.

Back