black flakes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwag001

Reaction score
I'm in the process of making this red ale and walked away when the worth returned to a boil right before I started to put the extract in I noticed alot of black flakes what are they is my batch still good I added the two cans of extract and a some hops

post your recipe and details of your process. Did this recipe use steeping grains? My initial thought is husks from steeping grains but without details it's hard to say! Your beer will likely be fine though so don't fret too much.

Did u already have scorched lme on your bk? This can come off after awhile.

I believe it was scorched when I finished the bottom of the pan was charred,. now when I transfer it to the bottling bucket I know I'm not supposed to splash around but can I put a screen around the siphon tube and collect all the black flakes

Did your recipe use LME? I'd check and see if they settle out during fermentation. You could try putting some kind of straining bag over the siphon tube in the beer when you move it over to the bottling bucket.

Back