Late extract additions and boil times

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrWildcat2U

Reaction score
If I shut down the boil at 15 mins to add dry extract, when should I restart my boil timer? I've been waiting until after I get a boil to restart the timer, but that adds a few minutes to the total time.

In my honest opinion, I don't think it will make a big difference one way or the other. Just restart the timer when you get boil.

I just keep it boiling when adding DME,since it doesn't sink straight to the bottom like LME. I only remove the BK from the heat when adding the LME so it doesn't burn on the bottom.

I just keep it boiling when adding DME,since it doesn't sink straight to the bottom like LME. I only remove the BK from the heat when adding the LME so it doesn't burn on the bottom.

Agreed. No reason to stop the boil with DME. Even with LME I don't stop the boil - I simply pour slow and vigorously whisk it in with my nice large Paderno whisk.

Rev.

Back