BeerSmith sugar in boil help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xsists

Reaction score
I am trying to convert a recipe that is written in percentages, which I know how to do in BeerSmith, but I am having trouble with sugars in the boil. BeerSmith doesn't compensate for that. I want to keep the OG at 1.073 (with converted lbs of grain) but need to add 3 lbs of turbinado and 1 lb of corn sugar without raising the OG in BeerSmith. Basically what I need to find out is how much would the 1.073 with the sugars in it be if I didn't put the sugars in so I can set that as the target OG for converting the grains into pounds. Its for a 10 gal brew. I'm sorry if this is confusing, but I'm confused as well :drunk:

Any help would be majorly appreciated.

What's your recipe?

I'm confused. Why doesn't your recipe have the amounts of sugar to use? Why do you need to add sugar?

What I would do is go ahead and add in all your sugars. Then add in the specialty grains in the batch (i.e. non basemalts). Then, use the base malt to bring it up to your required OG.

I am trying to convert a recipe that is written in percentages, which I know how to do in BeerSmith, but I am having trouble with sugars in the boil. BeerSmith doesn't compensate for that. I want to keep the OG at 1.073 (with converted lbs of grain) but need to add 3 lbs of turbinado and 1 lb of corn sugar without raising the OG in BeerSmith. Basically what I need to find out is how much would the 1.073 with the sugars in it be if I didn't put the sugars in so I can set that as the target OG for converting the grains into pounds. Its for a 10 gal brew. I'm sorry if this is confusing, but I'm confused as well :drunk:

Any help would be majorly appreciated.

I have no idea what you mean! You're trying to add sugar to the recipe without changing the OG? But you can't. Because sugars change the OG.

I know it will effect OG, but I want to know what the OG should be BEFORE adding the sugars to maintain a 1.073 final OG. This way I can get the correct proportions in pounds from the grain percentage..

I can get the correct proportions without the sugar. Say I need 47% of 2 row which and it gives me the correct lbs of grain. Then I put in the turbinado and it cuts down the 47% down to 42% or so. I want to maintain the 47% and the 1.073 OG after the sugars are added.

I can get the correct proportions without the sugar. Say I need 47% of 2 row which and it gives me the correct lbs of grain. Then I put in the turbinado and it cuts down the 47% down to 42% or so. I want to maintain the 47% and the 1.073 OG after the sugars are added.

Well, the put the sugars in too with the % correct.

If you have 10% sugar, 85% two-row, and 5% crystal, then it would be correct.

Why not just cut out the extra sugars and just use more base malt? Unless the recipe specifically NEEDS the sugars for flavor and to dry it out some... But you should be able to get similar results mashing lower... I've shifted away from adding processed sugars into my brew (all the way up to bottling) since going all grain. I'd rather use all grains for the brew than hit it with some other sugars to boost the OG... When I started, I was using honey in batches... Of course, those were extract brews, and I didn't know any better. Now, though, I'm just using the right amount of grain to hit my OG targets... If I miss the target, no biggie... Well, depending on how far I miss it by. As long as it looks like it will still be a solid brew (which most do) then I leave it alone...

Even for 10 gallons that's kind of pushing it in my opinion. Seems like an awful lot of sugar to me.

I mean I have made a 10 gallon batch of belgian quad and even for that I only added 2 lbs.

Put in the sugar additions and then massage the grain amounts until you've got the right percentages?

You have a recipe that is in percentages of grain with a FG of 1.073. You are trying to get the grain bill first. Then you are going to bump it up by adding some sugar?

I'm sorry for the confusing posts guys.. I think I may have had this in the wrong section too. The recipe is as follows. I am looking to get it into BeerSmith with the correct proportions.

North Oakland Double IPA (2011)

10 gallons, all-grain, no-sparge:

OG: 1.073

FG: 1.011

Mash:

47% American 2-row
26% Maris Otter
10% German Pils
8% Corn Sugar
6.5% Carapils
2.5% Crystal 40L
1 oz Chinook hops (whole)
1 oz Simcoe hops (whole)

145 F for 30"

152 F for 60"

165 F for 15"

No sparge.

Boil:

90 minutes

3 lbs Turbinado Sugar
1 lb Corn sugar
2 oz Hallertau (pellet) 90"
1 oz Simcoe (pellet) 45"
1 oz Summit (whole) 30"
2 oz Centennial (whole) 15"
2 oz Simcoe (whole) 10"
2 oz Summit (whole) 5"
2 oz Simcoe (whole) 5"
2 oz Centennial (whole) 5"
1.5 oz Simcoe (whole) 0"
3 oz Centennial (whole) 0"
Fermentation:

Wyeast 1056 American Ale
Day 7: 1.2 oz each Simcoe and Centennial pellets, 2.5 oz Columbus pellets
Day 14: 1.2 oz each Simcoe and Centennial pellets, 2.5 oz Columbus pellets

I'm sorry for the confusing posts guys.. I think I may have had this in the wrong section too. The recipe is as follows. I am looking to get it into BeerSmith with the correct proportions.

North Oakland Double IPA (2011)

10 gallons, all-grain, no-sparge:

OG: 1.073

FG: 1.011

Mash:

47% American 2-row
26% Maris Otter
10% German Pils
8% Corn Sugar
6.5% Carapils
2.5% Crystal 40L
1 oz Chinook hops (whole)
1 oz Simcoe hops (whole)

145 F for 30"

152 F for 60"

165 F for 15"

No sparge.

Boil:

90 minutes

3 lbs Turbinado Sugar
1 lb Corn sugar
2 oz Hallertau (pellet) 90"
1 oz Simcoe (pellet) 45"
1 oz Summit (whole) 30"
2 oz Centennial (whole) 15"
2 oz Simcoe (whole) 10"
2 oz Summit (whole) 5"
2 oz Simcoe (whole) 5"
2 oz Centennial (whole) 5"
1.5 oz Simcoe (whole) 0"
3 oz Centennial (whole) 0"
Fermentation:

Wyeast 1056 American Ale
Day 7: 1.2 oz each Simcoe and Centennial pellets, 2.5 oz Columbus pellets
Day 14: 1.2 oz each Simcoe and Centennial pellets, 2.5 oz Columbus pellets

Ah. Well, enter them all with the % as you planned. And just add the turbinado sugar as "3 pounds". and the additional corn sugar as 1 pound.

Sure that will change the %. As it should. If you're adding an additional 4 pounds of simple sugar, the % SHOULD and will change! Because you don't have 47% two-row any more if you're adding, what? 20%? more simple sugars to the wort.

So you want the turbinado + corn sugar to be the 8% corn sugar from that recipe?

I guess I am still confused. Why are you trying to make it 4 lbs of sugar?

We're all dumb! Those 4 pounds of sugar add 17.8 P/P/G! Therefore, the grain bill should create 1.055!

Wait, why is the corn sugar in the grain bill AND boil additions?

Well, here is what I came up with, and how I got there. I put in everything listed in the mash (including the 8% corn sugar) and then adjusted that to 1.055. Then I added the 3 pounds of Turbinado and 1 more pound of Corn Sugar, which brought the OG up to 1.073

8.93 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 38.83 %
4.94 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 21.48 %
1.90 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 8.26 %
1.24 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.37 %
0.48 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 2.07 %
3.00 lb Turbinado (10.0 SRM) Sugar 13.04 %
1.52 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 6.61 %
1.00 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 4.35 %

10 gallon at 70% brewhouse efficiency 1.073 SG

12.59# 2 row
6.96# Maris
2.68# Pilsner
1.74# Carapils
.67# Crystal 40
2.14# Corn sugar

This should give you a start adjust to your batch size and efficiency. Add your sugar to that is my guess as to what you are trying to do.

We're all dumb! Those 4 pounds of sugar add 17.8 P/P/G! Therefore, the grain bill should create 1.055!

Wait, why is the corn sugar in the grain bill AND boil additions?

Well, here is what I came up with, and how I got there. I put in everything listed in the mash (including the 8% corn sugar) and then adjusted that to 1.055. Then I added the 3 pounds of Turbinado and 1 more pound of Corn Sugar, which brought the OG up to 1.073

8.93 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 38.83 %
4.94 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 21.48 %
1.90 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 8.26 %
1.24 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.37 %
0.48 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 2.07 %
3.00 lb Turbinado (10.0 SRM) Sugar 13.04 %
1.52 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 6.61 %
1.00 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 4.35 %

THIS! This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much!

Again, sorry for the confusing steps. This beer won't be brewed until May and I hope to do a few batches between now and then to get the kinks worked out in my system before trying a big beer like this.

xsists said:
THIS! This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much!

Again, sorry for the confusing steps. This beer won't be brewed until May and I hope to do a few batches between now and then to get the kinks worked out in my system before trying a big beer like this.

You're lucky my art school maths were up to snuff today!

Back