Updated water calculator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I finally finished overhauling the water and mash pH spreadsheet that I have been maintaining. I started this work a few months ago when I realized that even the "basic" interface was not as intuitive as I thought it was. It seems nobody wants to enter salts as ppm even though that makes the addition independent of the water amount.

Here is what I changed:
* rearranged the basic interface into water, grist, salts&acids, report and necessary salt additions. This should be more intuitive.
* changed the treatment of undissolved chalk such that it only contributes half its calcium since it contributes only half its alkalinity. Chalk's solubility in mash seems to be limited and what does not dissolve and contribute to a rise in alkalinity should not contribute calcium ions either.
* salt additions can now be made in g and mg/l. You can select the unit
* the salts to be added can be reported in g and tsp. The latter is useful if your scale breaks down or you don't own one yet.
* lactic acid and phosphoric acid are supported. How out there is using hydrochloric or sulfuric acid? I could add this as well.
* water boiling has been added to the "advanced page". This was easy to add since I already supported lime treatment
* I added pH shift estimations for the major water treatment steps

This is what I kept:
* The basic and advanced pages are still there. Anything entered in the basic page will automatically carry over into the advanced page. The idea is to support a wide variety of users
* the basic formatting remained ion order to better support its use on mobile devices
* I avoided macros or the use of fancy functionality in hope that this spreadsheet can be supported by mobile devices
* the SRM based mash pH prediction is still there.
* support for SI and US units. Under the hood it uses SI units almost exclusively.

I plan to add grist based mash pH prediction. Not so much because it is much more precise than the SRM based prediction but because you don't have to enter the %roasted value, which I admit is a bit ambiguous and not that easy to grasp.

I gave it a fair amount of testing and when updating it I made sure to reuse as much of what I already had in order to reduce the number of bugs that were introduced. I was also tempted to password protect the content but then I noticed that when you open a password protected Excel file in OpenOffce you are not asked for a password when unlocking pages. So much for security Smiley. But the pages are still protected in order to avoid accidental changes to the formulas.

Kaiser_water_calculator.xls

Kai

I updated the wording for the %roasted field, it is meant to express the percentage of color that is coming from roasted malts and not the percentage of roasted malt of the specialty malts. This can make quite a difference and I found this when working on a refinement of the formula.

Example.

If you have a grist with 5% crystal 60 and 3% 500L carafa, the % roasted is:

3*500 / (5*60 + 3*500) = 83%

This example neglects the color from the base malt, which should be fine if the base is pale malt.

Kai

Awesome, thanks for posting. I'll check this out and see if I want to incorporate into my brew spreadsheet. My current spreadsheet version includes borrowed formulas from the EZ Water Calculator.

When using the mash & sparge option, the amounts of salts to be added to the sparge, do they go into the boil? or do I add them into the sparge water and sparge with that modified water? or does it matter?

thanks in advance

Aaron

Back