Simple Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could be a measurement error. Just let it ride and see where you end up. I wouldn't worry.

Taking the gravity after aerating wouldn't be an issue IMO, but taking it after pitching your yeast would cause it to be off.

How much boil over was there? Might make sense if you lost a decent volume before the dme fully dissolved. You mixed the wort well and all that good stuff before taking the sample? But I agree with weizen, sit back and let the yeast enjoy that nice big pot of wort you made for em.

If anything the difference in the reading will only affect your ABV%. Not a huge worry when you first start doing this.

I don't think I lost too much on the boil over.

I'm always in such a rush on the end part and I forget to do stuff.

I really have no idea how to use that brewtarget software to see what the gravity should be.

I'm just going to stick with kits. My Cream Ale tastes great and smells great.

If you lost water before the extract fully dissolved that would mean theres less water for a roughly unchanged amount of extract. Same amount of extract in less water makes a higher SG

Oh. I boiled 2 1/2 gal water and then added spring water to make the difference in the bucket.

I think it will turn out ok. I think the hydrometer got stuck on the thief. Will find out in 10 days I guess.

Oh. I boiled 2 1/2 gal water and then added spring water to make the difference in the bucket.

I think it will turn out ok. I think the hydrometer got stuck on the thief. Will find out in 10 days I guess.

I wish I could find a smaller hydrometer that wouldn't fill up my thief and cause me to have just this problem. Oh well. I may try this recipe this summer. What are your fermentation times? Primary for 4 weeks then bottle condition for 3? Just curious.

Don't know if this matters, but I used leaf hops and strained out on the pour.

Musta got the Hefe-Weizen right, my whole closet smells like bananas! Bubbling like crazy too!

Clove= cool ferment temp.
Banana= warm ferment temp.
Bubble gum= bad ferment
Band aid= very bad ferment

Those are the flavors. Aromas usually match flavor.

I would give a solid 2 weeks not counting the first 24 hour period. Gives the yeast time to clean up the waste produced during fermentation. Results in a better flavor profile.

Are you going to bottle or keg it?

bottle, but I forgot to get priming sugar. I have brown sugar and cane sugar.

I need to make an order anyway to get my next batch ordered.

Got a cream Ale in bottles. Hefe in the bucket. Any ideas for the next? No stouts or Porters.

Clove= cool ferment temp.
Banana= warm ferment temp.
Bubble gum= bad ferment
Band aid= very bad ferment

Even fermenting it cool I still get the banana smell around the primary with Wyeast 3068, doesn't exactly mean a warm fermentation entirely. I know what you're getting at though, how the ester/phenol balance can be swayed to either side.

Rev.

Right, temperature has more effect than yeast, though yeast can change things. The above was a general statement.

I just did a hydrometer reading since I was changing out the blow off for an airlock.

I had to have a bad reading the first night. sample tasted great.

Oh, my! I just finished the sample. Hellz Yeah!

Now how do I figure out my proper starting?

I wouldn't worry about it. If your beer tastes great, just enjoy it and worry about getting good readings the next time. Just remember to spin the hydrometer when you put it in the sample tube to dislodge any bubbles, then make sure it's not touching the sides. Finally, many hydrometers are off. Because you're using one hydrometer to measure such a wide range they can be off on the low or high side. I noticed I could never hit my preboil gravities and always seemed to have poor efficiency. I tested my hydrometer in some 60 degree water and it was off by 4 points!

Seems like a great beer for late spring/summer (or hell, anytime!) I am definetly going to brew this as soon as I bottle my Belgian amber :rockin:

Made me think of Franz & In-Heat Wheat. Very tasty already. Can't wait for this one.

@Primer: I see spots for SN Torpedo around here, but it is all sold out. I'm going to try it when I see it.

Back