Jamil's Standard Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seabrew8

Reaction score
Hey folks, i'm waiting on some ingredients to brew Jamil's Standard lager.

My questions are pretty simple:

Jamil recommends you lager for at least 4 weeks - is he referring to the 10C fermentation guideline? Or is lagering technically done after the fermentation using a close to freezing temp?

Lagering length depends on temperature... The colder you ferment the shorter amount of time you would need to lager it... the warmer the longer. Lager close to 34* and give it minimum 4 weeks of lagering and you will be set.

Lagering is done after the fermentation. Don't have my copy of BCS close at hand, but I think he recommends fermenting lagers for somewhere around 50F for however long it takes to hit FG plus 2-3 days and only then lagering as close to freezing as you can safely get it for the four weeks.

Lagering length depends on temperature... The colder you ferment the shorter amount of time you would need to lager it... the warmer the longer. Lager close to 34* and give it minimum 4 weeks of lagering and you will be set.

Umm...What I've read is the exact opposite. When lagering, you're still letting the yeast do some work, not simply dropping. Granted, you want your lager temp to be less than your ferment, and a cooler lager is generally preferred. A warmer lager ( around 45*F ) won't take as long, but the results might not be quite the same.

According to John Palmer in How to Brew:

Suggested lagering times are three to four weeks at 45*F, five to six weeks at 40*F, or seven to eight weeks at 35*F.

Umm...What I've read is the exact opposite. When lagering, you're still letting the yeast do some work, not simply dropping. Granted, you want your lager temp to be less than your ferment, and a cooler lager is generally preferred. A warmer lager ( around 45*F ) won't take as long, but the results might not be quite the same.

According to John Palmer in How to Brew:

I've been wondering about this myself since this is some of that information that seems to be 'variable' depending on who is posting. I have seen articles that say you need to ramp down very slowly so as to not shock the yeast. To me that indicates they are still working.

I just listen to Noonan:

As cold as you can get (~34F) for 1 week per 2 degrees Plato (1.008 SG)

so a 1.050 beer would need 50/8 = 6.25 weeks of lagering.

Latest posts

Back