Marking a boil pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeepGuy

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a turkey fryer to make the jump to all grain, and looking at the pot that comes with it, was starting to think about marking the inside of it to show how much wort is in it. I'm wondering about how much I will lose to evaporation as it boils. Has anybody marked their brew pots on the inside? I was considering using a sharpie to mark the gallon levels. I'm thinking this shouldn't have any real adverse effects on the brew, but wonder what you all think.

Ditto. I put a line and a number on the outside of the pot with permanent marker every gallon after 2.

I have a SS turkey fryer pot as well and used a punch to mark the liters on the pot. Every 5 liters I punched 3 depressions. This picture shows how well these markings can be read from the inside:

2249-DSC07319.JPG

But you could also mark your spoon instead. This way you don't risk ruining the pot.

Kai

I was going to suggest something like Kaiser mentioned. I have a spring loaded center punch that is perfect for this as you don't have the potential to move the punch while striking your thumb with the hammer.

If you use a punch to make markings, you should support the other side with a 2x4 or so.

Kai

I marked my pot for 7 gallons and 5.5 with a Dremel. Works great for me except I forgot to put my wort chiller in it to mark the 5.5, so I'll have to do it again. Doh!

90 minute boils seem to work out just fine though.

Back in the day they used to use a broomstick as sort of a dipstick. I figured, who am I to mess with success? I put notches in a wood dowel and use that. It only touches the wort pre-boil, so there are no sanitation worries.

At the micro I used to work at, we also had a dipstick. We had a small (500 gallon, or 15 BBL) brewpot, and used the dipstick to measure.

Worked great!

Our fermenters had sightglasses, so we could see directly, the level.

steve

Back