Making Perry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roastedkiwis

Reaction score
does any one know anything about perry
i have a pear tree in my garden have no idea what type of pears it is and i was going to have a go at making some perry but i have heard that you can only make perry out of perry pears
if this is true what happens if you try to make perry out of other pears

It's true that traditional perry is made from "perry pears," just like traditional apple cider is made from cider apples. Fermenting sweet pears will give you a sort of pear cider, much like Ed Wort's apfelwein (pearfelwein?); not a true perry, but not bad on the palate either. In theory, you could add acid(s) & tannin(s) to your pear juice to replicate true perry, but the catch is: you have to know what true perry tastes like. You might have better luck trying to locate & purchase perry pears/juice. You may find this link useful. The Real Cider and Perry Page Regards, GF.

I'd settle for finding cheap pear juice to try. The only stuff around here is pear nectar and gerber's pear baby juice. Both are expensive when talking in gallons.

The pear juice has a very neutral taste.

This is the reason why most of the "Fruit Punch" and grape cocktail, in the juice section of your grocery is pear juice.

For people that do not like the tartness of Cider, adding a 50/50 mix of pear and apple juice GREATLY cuts down on that.

Back