Pumpkin Ale sludge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smittygouv30

Reaction score
Hello All-

I'm a newbie to the forum but have been a reader and fan for a while. I figured now is the time for me to start getting some help.

This morning I brewed a pumpkin ale and am not confident in it, as there was a significant amount sludge put into the primary. I am aware that hop sludge will settle out but will canned pumpkin sludge? I decided to use canned pumpkin and added it directly to the boil with five minutes left. In reading other pumpkin recipes other most people are baking it and adding it to the mash. Has anyone added canned pumpkin directly to the boil? If so did you have a sludge problem that didn't settle out in the primary/secondary? I used 2 can's of Libby's canned pumpkin pie mix, 60 oz total.

That's why it's always a good idea to either siphon you cooled wort into you fermenter, or pour it in through a strainer.

Your problem is that you used the pumpkin pie mix. This has the evaporated milk,seasonings,etc already in it. You're supposed to use canned pumpkin. Just plain pumpkin puree,in other words.

Hello All-

I'm a newbie to the forum but have been a reader and fan for a while. I figured now is the time for me to start getting some help.

This morning I brewed a pumpkin ale and am not confident in it, as there was a significant amount sludge put into the primary. I am aware that hop sludge will settle out but will canned pumpkin sludge? I decided to use canned pumpkin and added it directly to the boil with five minutes left. In reading other pumpkin recipes other most people are baking it and adding it to the mash. Has anyone added canned pumpkin directly to the boil? If so did you have a sludge problem that didn't settle out in the primary/secondary? I used 2 can's of Libby's canned pumpkin pie mix, 60 oz total.

I added my canned pumpkin to the boil at 60 minutes and I didn't have too much of a problem. I siphoned out the wort and tried to leave the sludge behind and I also siphoned it to the keg to age. My fermenter had a good amount of sludge at the bottom. I would guess that the pumpkin settles to the bottom eventually.

1.The sludge definitely didn't sink but didn't completely float to the top either. It was kind of mixed with in the wort. That's what had me nervous.

2. I don't usually use a strainer, but I was concerned with prior so I did use a strainer. It caught a good bit of sludge but not enough to make me feel confident.

3. I was afraid the pumpkin pie mix was the problem. The recipe kit I bought had several reviewers complain about the lack of pumpkin flavor that came through in the final product, and recommended a switch to the pumpkin pie mix. The mix I bought doesn't include the evaporated milk but does have spices and syrups.

Is it normal to add canned pumpkin directly to the boil or is it usually baked and steeped?

I added my canned pumpkin to the boil at 60 minutes and I didn't have too much of a problem. I siphoned out the wort and tried to leave the sludge behind and I also siphoned it to the keg to age. My fermenter had a good amount of sludge at the bottom. I would guess that the pumpkin settles to the bottom eventually.

Awesome, that's good news. Maybe there is hope then. Did you use 100% canned pumpkin rather than a pumpkin pie mix?

You'll be fine, I just kegged the pumpkin ale I brewed a month ago. Just be prepared to lose more volume then you would normally expect to because you'll have to leave a decent amount of beer in the bottom of the fermenter because of the amount of pumpkin/trub sitting at the bottom of the bucket. I also used pumpkin pie mix.

I think you'll be fine as well. Just FYI, I made a Pumpkin Ale with just pumpkin pie spices at 5 min. Added 2 tbs at bottling as well. Drinking the first one now, and although green it's a very nice pumpkin smell and taste.

You'll be fine, I just kegged the pumpkin ale I brewed a month ago. Just be prepared to lose more volume then you would normally expect to because you'll have to leave a decent amount of beer in the bottom of the fermenter because of the amount of pumpkin/trub sitting at the bottom of the bucket. I also used pumpkin pie mix.

This. I bottled my pumpkin ale a week ago, and had a ton of pumpkin/trub. I probably lost about a gallon of volume. I used the pumpkin pie mix also. Net total of bottles was only 41.

I baked my canned pumpkin (not the pie mix) to let it caramelize a bit. I then added it to the boil (at 90 mins). There was some serious sludge, but only some of it got into the fermenter. I cold crashed for a week before kegging and added gelatin to the keg. The beer is pretty clear. I think the best advice I can give is to cold crash all of your beers. It helps with flocculation and clarity.

Your problem is that you used the pumpkin pie mix. This has the evaporated milk,seasonings,etc already in it. You're supposed to use canned pumpkin. Just plain pumpkin puree,in other words.

the libby's canned pumpkin pie mix does NOT contain evaporated milk. Just pumpkin and spices... I used it in my punk'd brew is amazing :)

This. I bottled my pumpkin ale a week ago, and had a ton of pumpkin/trub. I probably lost about a gallon of volume. I used the pumpkin pie mix also. Net total of bottles was only 41.

Excellent news. Did you strain it? Did you use a secondary? Did you notice all or most of the pumpkin floaters settle out prior to bottling? Thanks to all for the responses.

Excellent news. Did you strain it? Did you use a secondary? Did you notice all or most of the pumpkin floaters settle out prior to bottling? Thanks to all for the responses.

No I didnt strain anything out. I let it sit in primary for 2 weeks, and secondary for 2 weeks. Everything settles out over time.

Latest posts

Back