A real downer of a thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
I just found out that my dad is scheduled for a quadruple bypass surgery tomorrow. I did a search and all I can find is how well Bill Clinton's went. Seeing as how the Dr. performing my dad's surgery isn't under the pressure of keeping a U.S. President alive, I'm wondering what the outlook is for the average Joe (or Bill, in this case).

I have numerous friends, and parents of friends that have had this surgery. It isn't what it was 10 to 20 years ago. The recovery time now is amazing. I have a very good friend of mine whose dad went thru it and was back playing softball 6 weeks later. Keep your chin up bud, and I'll be keeping you guys in my thoughts.

Ize

Just based on hearsay, and the experience of hearsay, I think it's actually pretty good. As a matter of fact, a lot of people report that they feel better than they've felt in years very soon after the surgery. I know it's stressful, but I think the odds are greatly in your dads favor. Good luck, I'll be sending good thoughts.

Sorry to hear about your dad. My grandfather had the same surgery a few years back and was a changed man for it. He said he felt better after that surgery than he had for years.

Best wishes

- magno

He'll be getting new pipes to the heart. My experiences (parents) have been good. Could add 20 years to his life.:ban:

After my heart attack, 9 years ago, I had an angioplasty (balloon 1X) and have had no problems since.:D

In all my years as a pastor I have had numerous members undergo bypass surgery and every single one has come through it. Some have done better then others but that is due to their other health issues. On the whole, the vast majority have received a new lease on life.

That does not make it any easier on you as you wait all this out. All I can say is hang in there, and know you are in my thoughts and prayers.

My Dad had emergency quintuple bypass surgery at the ripe old age of 52!

That was 20 years ago, and he's healthier now than he was then, in many ways.

It's a major procedure, and there's always a risk, but there's every reason to believe that this will be successful and will add many years to his life.

Next time someone you care about is going to have surgery and you're really worried, go with them to one of his pre-op visits. Any doctor worth a **** will take the time to talk to you about it in real terms (and taking into account the person's specifics) if you ask.

Hey man I understand how you feel.
My dad went to the Dr. to see about hurnia surgery and after a tread mill and some other tests, he ended up getting a quadruple bypass. It frightened and worried the heck out of all of us but when it was done and he was healed he felt much better and was back to his old active self. That was about 16 years ago. He turned 84 this year.
:mug: Here's to your dad getting through the surgery and feeling much better.

Went through a similar scare with my dad a while back. Man, it's rough. He was lucky and only had to have a stent (sp?) put in. Not really the same thing, but I sorta know how you feel.

We'll be rooting for your dad. Modern medicine is an incredible thing!

He's getting his zipper installed as we speak. I won't hear any outcome for a few hours still and it'll be at least a day before he'll be talking. I hear that it's bad for a month, then they're back in no time.

It's a nice wake-up call for me to start losing some weight and exercising.

I know I'm new here, but best wishes to your dad. One of my close buddies had multiple-bypass surgury a few years ago, and he's done very well, he goes in for a stress tess occasionally and he's fine. My little girl was also born with a pretty bad arrthmia, which thankfully resolved itself without surgury (after a year of meds). Tough being in the hospital when someone you love dearly has a bum ticker and there's nothing you can do about it.

Hope it all went well, my Dad had it done many years ago and I remember the problems he had coughing but he came through OK. Good Luck!!

Sorry about your Pops, but I wouldnt worry. Hell with as often as they do that procedure it's practily out patient stuff anymore. OK well maybe not outpatient but you know what I mean.

Being that I have been going through heat conditions and surgeries these past few months, I can certainly understand the fear. Since I work at a nursing home and see people come out of these things all the time, I should have have been as fearfull as I was. Everyone says.... take things one day at a time. This is what is needed, however seems to not help much when you are the one who is afraid. It did not help my wife who was very afraid.

So what I am trying to say is from what I have personally experienced and seen, it appears that these doctors know what they are doing. I know that this does not help you much, but I believe your dad in in good hands and is in my prayers. As you are.

Back