Dark Lord...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerjb

Reaction score
So, after reading Surfbrewer's post about the dfh 120, i'm going to have to come out with a confession of my own.

Went to Dark Lord Day this year as it was a short drive away and sounded like a great time. Too much of a line and too little beer consumption for my general tastes, but not a terrible experience all in all. Came home with 6 bottles, felt bad for those who went home empty handed.

At this point, I've opened 2 of my bottles and 1 of a friends. My reaction each time has been one of mild amusement more than sheer awe; which is rather unfortunate given the price ($15/22oz). I'm glad I had the chance to try it, but i guess it just hasn't lived up to all that I had been led to understand.

Am I the only one with this opinion? Am I missing something? SUPER sweet and way too thick. No balance as far as T'm concerned. Maybe my palate is immature, but I just don't really get it.

Anybody with me on this one?

I've never tried it, so I don't know either way. Like many strongly flavored beers, it may be an aquired taste.

I've read plenty of negative feedback on that brew over the past few years. You have to figure with any of these big hype brews that they aren't going to be everybody's cup of tea (heck, that holds true for just about any beer). I'd like to sample DL but it's nothing I would pay crazy money for. I don't even like paying the shelf price for DFH WW Stout or 120 in general.

Darklord is ideally supposed to be aged for six months, as per Nick Floyd's recommendation. I've had this years batch a few times already and it is really good, It isn't as good as last years batch tastes right now (obviously) .I think it is a top notch RIS personally. I think that no beer could live up to DL's hype, so a lot of people are let down. I think with out the hype that DL would still be on beer advocates top 100 list, no doubt. I think the hype also makes some people not want to like it and other want to like it more. In any case it is a big beer and 22oz of it is a lot to put down alone. To those who can't access DL and want to try it I'd say check out Bell's expedition stout it resembles DL in my opinion.

Back