I'm Thinking... 09/09/09 Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We currently have just under 70% of the participants who have brewed the 09/09/09.

That's pretty good, but let's remember the spirit of this swap includes delivering a 1-year old barleywine to be enjoyed next September.

Running a few weeks late is no big deal, but keep this in mind and try to plan your brewing schedule accordingly.

Those of you who do not foresee being able to participate, please let me know and I'll take you off the list.

Otherwise...let's get brewing. :ban:

Oooo, TerapinChef... MO and Tett sounds DIVINE! Keep me posted on that beer, will ya? Cheers! :mug:

I wonder how many of those who haven't reported in have brewed the 999 but simply haven't updated? Perhaps a mass PM is in order to spur them to report.

I moved mine to a secondary vessel yesterday after 6 weeks in the primary. Went from 1.109 to 1.026. Not to bad. The hydrometer sample definitely had a strong alcohol bite to it. It really left you with that burn in the back of your throat. The flavors behind the alcohol were really good though. This should be awesome in 9-12 months.

checked the gravity today... it's 1.020. done enough, i'll rack it into a new carboy this weekend, and forget about till spring.

We currently have just under 70% of the participants who have brewed the 09/09/09.

That's pretty good, but let's remember the spirit of this swap includes delivering a 1-year old barleywine to be enjoyed next September.

Running a few weeks late is no big deal, but keep this in mind and try to plan your brewing schedule accordingly.

Those of you who do not foresee being able to participate, please let me know and I'll take you off the list.

Otherwise...let's get brewing. :ban:

Sorry everyone, my first attempt went south when I miss measured my grain. Stupid tare function on the scale. Druck and started the brew session at 23:00. Looks to be an interesting Double IPA. :eek:

Mark me down as brewed on 10/18 and whoever gets me as a swap will get a bonus for not having a whole year aged beer. :D

Brew Tracking as of 10/19

Once you've completed your brew session, PM me so I can track the progress of all the participants.

Here's what I have so far. If I've missed your session, let me know.

I've removed individuals who have been absent from HBT for four weeks or more.

Alamo_Beer - (Brewed 8/16)
Amiaji - (Brewed 9/8)
Beerrific - (Brewed 9/6)
beerthirty - (Brewed 9/7)
BierMuncher - (Brewed 8/27)
Bike N Brew
Brewpastor
Brewsmith
BuffaloSabresBrewer
CBBaron - (Brewed 9/19)
chriso - (Brewed 10/03)
conpewter – (Brewed 8/24)
Couevas – (Brewed 8/4)
DeathBrewer
deathweed – (Brewed 8/26)
Doog_Si_Reeb - (Brewed 9/7)
eddie - (Brewed 8/31)
EdWort
Evan!
EvilTOJ - (Brewed 9/8)
FSR402 - (Brewed 9-7-08)
Glibbidy
Hagen – (Brewed 8/23)
HarvInSTL - (Brewed 10/12)
jfrizzell
jmulligan - (Brewed 9/13)
Kai
Kilted Brewer - (Brewed 7/13)
KingBrianI - (Brewed 9/6)
korndog - (Brewed 9/23)
Liquidicem - (Brewed 9/1)
MikeFlynn74 - (Brewed 9/28)
mmb - (Brewed 10/18)
MNBugeater - (Brewed 9/6)
mrkristofo
Mustangj - (Brewed 9/21)
nealf - (Brewed 9/14)
niquejim - (Brewed 9/29)
olllllo - (Brewed 9/7)
Ooompa Loompa
Pirate Ale - (Brewed 9/6)
Ridemywideglide - (Brewed 8/31)
Saccharomyces - (Brewed 9/13)
SporkD2 - (Brewed 9/4)
Stratotankard - (Brewed 9/13)
SUMO - (Brewed 10/12)
TerapinChef
TexLaw (Brewed 9/21)
the_bird
uglygoat - (Brewed 9/28)
Warrior = (Brewed 9/27)
wedge421
wildwest450 - (Brewed 9/12)
xiang – (Brewed 8/26)

Transferred my 999 to the secondary today. OG 1.119, FG 1.023 for 12.6% ABV. Hydro sample was crystal clear, beautiful deep amber. Very boozy but perfectly balanced beer. I could drink hydro samples all day, even warm and flat this beer is a wonderful thing. I can't wait to try it next September!! This bad boy will get oaked in a couple of weeks.

My partigyle ale came out really good. I took 3 gallons of extra runnings, boiled them with leftover hops, and fermented in my Mr Beer. Since I only did a 3 gallon partigyle I ended up with a nice 1.055 ESB.

I like the idea of using the second runnings for another beer...do you guys do basically a second batch sparge for that?

I am going to be brewing this here soon (hopefully this week)...Its going to be a long day, I only have a 5 gal mash tun, but I wasn't going to do a 3 gallon recipe because I want a case of these guys. So multi mash, multi boil, barleywine :)

Alright i have a wierd problem...I kind of messed up my grain bill when I printed it from Beersmith. Fortunately (or unfortunately, since this way it's harder to fix) I added nine pounds of Marris Otter from my last brew to this grain bill. And of course it's already milled. and mixed together. It's going to knock my OG up to 1.157, screw up all kinds of calculations, and not fit in my 54Q MLT now.

SO....here's my options. Do I just scoop out nine pounds of the mixed grains, getting closer to original OG but possibly losing some color and flavor by removing specialty grains with it, or do I just borrow my friends 70Q MLT and have a go at a bigger version of an already ludicriously huge beer?

I was planning on parti-gyling this anyways, if I scoop out the nine pounds I could almost make three beers today...but that means I will definately need more hops...and that means another trip to the brew shop.

Hmmmmm. That's tough. I would say use the 70Qt and get an enormous BW and a still-pretty-big 2nd beer.

Scooping out + Doing a 3rd beer *does* sound attractive, but I'm guessing it's easier to borrow a mash tun than to make a hop run to the brew shop. (Unless it's 5 min away?)

Alright i have a wierd problem...I kind of messed up my grain bill when I printed it from Beersmith. Fortunately (or unfortunately, since this way it's harder to fix) I added nine pounds of Marris Otter from my last brew to this grain bill. And of course it's already milled. and mixed together. It's going to knock my OG up to 1.157, screw up all kinds of calculations, and not fit in my 54Q MLT now.

SO....here's my options. Do I just scoop out nine pounds of the mixed grains, getting closer to original OG but possibly losing some color and flavor by removing specialty grains with it, or do I just borrow my friends 70Q MLT and have a go at a bigger version of an already ludicriously huge beer?

I was planning on parti-gyling this anyways, if I scoop out the nine pounds I could almost make three beers today...but that means I will definately need more hops...and that means another trip to the brew shop.

Here's my .02...

1) Start a new beersmith file for 999 V1.2.
2) Enter your current recipe with the 9lb MO
3) Scale the rest of the recipe up to have the same ratios as the original recipe (scaling volume, hops, specialty grains)
4) Compare the updated recipe to the original recipe to determine how many more hops and malts you need.
5) Take the time to go and get the correct proportions of ingredients. You will be spending the better part of a year tending this beer before even tasting it. It would be a real bummer to screw it up over an hour trip to the LHBS.
6) Invite your friend over and brew a double 999 batch.

Or just say screw it and fly off the cuff....:tank:

Well....I've got unlimited Hallertau and Tett, but not much for the bittering aspect. The cooler is actually about 20 minutes each way, but if I borrow that I might as well borrow another burner and keggle so I can have two beers going at the same time. With a 120 minute boil on the barleywine, I can probably finish the partigyle before the actual first beer...

I guess to be more accurate.... What do you have in your hop stash? Anything lying around you could use for this 3rd beer?

B-K has a good point ... with the additional gravity, you'll need to boost your BW hops a little anyways.... It's a sticky situation.

edit: Ok... With a bunch of Tett you can pull off a nice second or third beer just fine... ramping up your IBUs on the bw back into place... harder to do. And if the cooler is 20 minutes away.... hmmm....

Are the cooler and the brew store two different directions? Murphy's law says they must be. ;)

Hmmmmm. That's tough. I would say use the 70Qt and get an enormous BW and a still-pretty-big 2nd beer.

Scooping out + Doing a 3rd beer *does* sound attractive, but I'm guessing it's easier to borrow a mash tun than to make a hop run to the brew shop. (Unless it's 5 min away?)

Well, both options sound "interesting", but scooping out 9 pounds of random grains could leave you with a bunch of odd beers...

How about a triple partygile from the insane grainbill using the 70 quart mlt? I mean if you have enough hops, and yeast for everything for everything...You can "cheat" beersmith to give you the numbers so you can actually calculate the hopsbill.

The other thought that occured to me in trying to do one mega beer from all the grains in the 70 quart would be having a large enough yeast starter not to stall immediately. WHat yeast were you planning to use?

Mosher provides some cheat sheets for calculating the gravities of 3 partigyles here; BT - Parti-Gyle Brewing

Suprisingly enough, no not really. Well they would be if I went to the good brew shop, but I'm willing to take a hit on service on a day like today. I'm going to make the call for the cooler. Damn it the bad brewshop doesn't open till 11! AAAARRRRGGGGGGHHHH!

edit...
I've got 750mL of yeast slurry from a 5G batch I racked off yesterday. It's CalAleV

Got any MO left over? You could use that as your reference and then pick through your grain bill and pull out the extra MO one grain at a time. :tank:

Sorry, I feel your pain. I say adjust the specialty grains and hops and go for it. Let us know how things work out.

Suprisingly enough, no not really. Well they would be if I went to the good brew shop, but I'm willing to take a hit on service on a day like today. I'm going to make the call for the cooler. Damn it the bad brewshop doesn't open till 11! AAAARRRRGGGGGGHHHH!

edit...
I've got 750mL of yeast slurry from a 5G batch I racked off yesterday. It's CalAleV

Go get some breakfast, run the numbers to know what you need for hops, make sure you got enough propane for the day, go get the cooler then hit elbrewshoppy right when it opens...you got 90 minutes...you can get a lot done in time...

Are we breaking in our mega mondo brewstand with this mofo brew?

(I was wondering if you were going to rent a semi, and bring it to cap n cork's for teach your neighbor to homebrew day Nov 1)

You should have no problem converting at 1.1:1 ratio. It may take a little longer, and you might wind up with a more dextrinous wort (depending on how long you let it go), but you should be able to get all the conversion you want.

TL

(It wouldn't be homebrewing if you didn't have to figure all this out! :D)

Go get some breakfast, run the numbers to know what you need for hops, make sure you got enough propane for the day, go get the cooler then hit elbrewshoppy right when it opens...you got 90 minutes...you can get a lot done in time...

Are we breaking in our mega mondo brewstand with this mofo brew?

(I was wondering if you were going to rent a semi, and bring it to cap n cork's for teach your neighbor to homebrew day Nov 1)

You are a genius. I was just thinking I need food and coffee before I figure this out. I'll be heading for Keunheims when they open.

Yeah, it's the breakin batch with wheels on it. I did my starter batch for this brew on it last week, but it wasn't mobile then.

I would love to take it out to Cap n' Cork, I was telling andy about it last night and I'm sure he would love to see it...unfortunately there's a 90% chance I'll be working at 1pm that day.

I like the idea of using the second runnings for another beer...do you guys do basically a second batch sparge for that?

I kept fly sparging after getting 8.5 gallons for the boil and directed the runnings into two small pots I could boil on the stove inside. The sparge volume for a double batch sparge would have been a few coffee cups' worth, I think. ;)

Well I've been super busy lately. I did get the barleywine transferred into secondary and put it in a dark cabinet to age. It sat on the yeast for about 1.5 months, finished at 1.020 as i mentioned before (OG was somewhere at or above 1.119).

I have not had a chance to get back to my "small" beer (OG 1.065?), which has now been sitting in the fermenter (corny keg) for 2 months or so. We'll just call it a test of autolysis I guess. I bet it is fine but we'll see when I finally get it transferred into a second corny to carb and try it.

I gotta question -- Do you think Heavy Toast oak would be too much for this beer? Should I stick to the medium toast stuff? I'm thinking Hungarian oak.

Edit: Found info on Midwest's site:
Oak is available in powdered, extract, chipped, cubed, sticks, spirals and “replica” forms.
Chips and cubes offer the greatest variety of toasts and species. Use lightly toasted
American oak for a coconut flavor. Lightly toasted French oak gives a slight vanilla
flavor. Use the medium-heavy (house) for a caramelized flavor like toasted bread,
allspice or vanilla, and darker toasts in reds to create a robust, earthy flavor like coffee
and chocolate. The rule of thumb is to not overpower the wine with oak. Lighter wines
require less oak. German wines generally are not oaked.

With that info... I think I might actually go for Light toast American oak. I love coconut. :p

I kept fly sparging after getting 8.5 gallons for the boil and directed the runnings into two small pots I could boil on the stove inside. The sparge volume for a double batch sparge would have been a few coffee cups' worth, I think. ;)

Thanks - since I can't really fly sparge, I will just keep batch sparging until I get another 4 or 5 gallons or the gravity starts dropping too low.

So I went to my friends house and came home with:
a 70Q Coleman Extreme
a second Keggle
a second burner
a second propane tank
2 oz of Galena

I think that everything is going to be okay.
I just needed to RDWHAC
(Relax Don't Worry Have A Coffe)
So here we go!

Thanks - since I can't really fly sparge, I will just keep batch sparging until I get another 4 or 5 gallons or the gravity starts dropping too low.

That'd probably be about 15 gallons of second runnings with this big of a beer.. LOL. My 3 gallon partigyle ale came out at 6% abv!

With a fly sparge I got 62% efficiency on the barleywine so with a batch sparge I would expect close to 55% in your case. Good luck! :mug:

That'd probably be about 15 gallons of second runnings with this big of a beer.. LOL. My 3 gallon partigyle ale came out at 6% abv!

With a fly sparge I got 62% efficiency on the barleywine so with a batch sparge I would expect close to 55% in your case. Good luck! :mug:

hehe, maybe I will get more hops and make another 2-3 beers then :rockin:

Since I did Chinook and Centennial for my boil hops, I think I'm going to soften the blow a little with some Amarillo dry hop in mine. But I won't be doing that for a few months... I'll probably keg in another week or so... then oak briefly (I'm thinking (for 3 gal) 1/2 oz Oak Chips for 1 week), pull those out, then let condition in the keg for a while. At about 6 months, I plan to dry-hop for 2 weeks, then bottle (BMBF) thereafter.

Brew Tracking as of 10/22

Okay, I've PM'd those who have not brewed to see if they are still in. Chef...it looks like you're getting close to go time by your recent post(s).
I've removed anyone who's been MIA for more than four weeks.

With November just a few days away, it's getting near time to lock down the list.

Again, the spirit of this swap to deliver a one-year old Barley to be enjoyed on 9-9-09. I haven't been too much of a stickler, but we need to draw some lines here pretty soon.

Also remember that we will be aligning swap names and arranging shipments some time in late Q1, early Q2 of '09. This will allow enough time for bulk aging and shipping during the cooler weather.

Come on folks...last call is coming up fast. :rockin:

Oh and in case you forgot how fast time flies, it was exactly one year ago that Brewpastor started up the 08-08-08 RIS discussion. ;)

Alamo_Beer - (Brewed 8/16)
Amiaji - (Brewed 9/8)
Beerrific - (Brewed 9/6)
beerthirty - (Brewed 9/7)
BierMuncher - (Brewed 8/27)
Bike N Brew
Brewpastor
Brewsmith
CBBaron - (Brewed 9/19)
chriso - (Brewed 10/03)
conpewter – (Brewed 8/24)
Couevas – (Brewed 8/4)