How do you get the red in Irish ales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The red comes from roasted barley. most red recipes use .1 lb of it. I know it looks brown, but that is really the red you see.

Leprechaun Blood :D

What are you using as the largest type of extract (Lme/Dme)? Try running the numbers with the same grains you chose, but with Extra Light DME...

Here's one I found..

2 lb Paul's 2-row Pale
2 lb Paul's Mild Ale
0.5 lb Briess CaraPils
0.5 lb Paul's Crystal Malt (or 60L)
0.1 lb Roasted Barley

3 lb Extra Light DME

Beersmith (and any beer software) give you the brightness, not the hue. They take a one-dimensional scale (SRM) and assign it to an averaged golden-amber-copper-brown-black scale. Trust it for darkness of colour, not hue.

And a tiny touch of roast barley will give you red. c1-2 oz.

So far I am doing LMEs and specialty grains. Dont hav e the set up for all grain....yet

So what ar some other names for roasted malt? will crystal 120 work?

MESmith said:
So far I am doing LMEs and specialty grains. Dont hav e the set up for all grain....yet

So what ar some other names for roasted malt? will crystal 120 work?

Roasted Barley, not just roasted malt. Some places only sell black roasted barley. More bitter and well...roasty.

Also, if it's the right hue but too dark, you can try a late extract addition. You add half or more of your extract during the last 15-20 mins of the boil.

Latest posts

Back