Pilot First AG Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justbrewit

Zythos Conisseur
Reaction score
so heres what i'm thinking, i have one of those huge mesh bags(big enough to fit in a bottling bucket) i figure if i put some thing to lift the bag off the bottom of the bucket, then i should be able to just do a small AG batch like that right? i don't have all the stuff right now like a false bottom or a converted cooler. i want to dive into AG but i'd like to start an a small scale with what i have on hand. will this work with the mess bag? does it really need to be lifted up off the bottom? i'm thinking about just doing half batches. ideas, thoughts, complaints????? thanks

Do yourself a favor and go buy a cooler.. build a MLT that works well and make the move to AG.

Bite the bullet and do it. ;)

The mesh bag will work fine, and a colander in the bottom of the bucket will keep the grain bag off the spigot.

How much can you boil? Are you trying to do a 5 gallon batch or something smaller?

I did PM in my bottling bucket with a grain bag until I got my MLT. Some tips- the bottling bucket does NOT hold temps well at all. Make sure you have more boiling water on the stove, to add it when the temperature dips. Also, wrap that bottling bucket in a sleeping back so it loses less heat that way. You can preheat it with some hot water, then had the grain bag and then the strike water. Stir it well to make sure all the grain is moistenend.

JoeRags said:
Do yourself a favor and go buy a cooler.. build a MLT that works well and make the move to AG.

Bite the bullet and do it. ;)
I would agree, keep your eyes peeled for a 5 gallon round cooler. I would think you can get one for 20.00. Add that and a stainless braid and your set.

c.n.budz said:
How much can you boil? Are you trying to do a 5 gallon batch or something smaller?

i have one pot thats 20 qts and i have another one that is a turkey fryer, i have large enough pots for the boil, just don't have every thing i need to make a full jump to AG

i have one right by my house, i'll check that out this weekend some time.

on a side note, any one know any thing about roasting your own grains in the oven??

i know, i know, i'm a cheap bastard!!! LOL

Latest posts

Back