Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maybe not for a lawnmower beer. My kolsch was about 6.5% and I drank myself stupid on it one afternoon. Since then I've been weary of high alc % hybrid beers

In my experience honey adds flavor but only fora while and it fades away as it ages . I use very high flavor honey like Tupelo or rain flower or orange blossom etc. It is a different type of flavor from what you would buy in grocery store normally . Does make a blonde taste good but only for a couple weeks . Maybe last longer in keg ?

OT From the Centennial Blonde; I brewed a Honey Ale and it's been in the bottle for 4 weeks now. Still a very sweet honey taste. Hoping it fades with age.

I brewed a big version of this. I used 16# of the pale 2 row and added in the various other grains. It's in the secondary right now, should finish around 8.5-9.5% when all is said and done. I also brewed the normal version of this earlier in the year and it was probably the best beer I've brewed to date.

annoyingrob said:
To be perfectly honest with you, I've topped off batches with tap water literally since I started brewing, and have NEVER had a problem with it. Relax, don't worry.....

Might want to figure out what your doing wrong to be topping off batches that often.

I just bottled my batch made about a month ago. I used 3724 this time around. It was VERY slow. I finally got tired of waiting and pitched some champagne yeast into it. It ended up only getting down to 1.015. Its mighty tasty right now.

Did 10 gal of the extract version this time and split it, 5 gal with Notty and 5 with Saflager23. (1st 5 gal batch went too fast).
I also added 1/2 lb of Honey malt, (because I had it around), and 8oz of rice syrup solids in place of 1lb of the DME as I only had 9lb.

Lesson learned for me: Getting 12 gal of wort to boil on my turkey fryer burner is just not happening :(, (time to get a new burner). I was only able to get it to about 210°f and that took a lot longer then the 60min boil time, good thing I did late additions of the DME.
Hydro came in at 1.041 and was a bit bitter but I think I'm good as that should mellow out as it ages.

Since this is up to 3374 posts I could not read them all; Anyone use Saflager23 on this? I have seen some good and bad posts on that yeast and was just wondering what to expect.

I bottled one week ago and I tasted one last night. They were carbed and clear but the taste was a little 'green' to me. Sort of tangy and cidery. I followed the OP recipe exactly with the exception of some extra hops at FO and slightly higer ABV (5.25%). It's not hoppy or bitter, just green, so I'm assuming it needs a little more time to condition in the bottle.

Using tap water is just fine . All kits have you boil a gallon or so andf then dump in your stuff and then top off with cold tap water to 5 or 6 gallons . I have never filtered any water but do like to use filtered spring water from the store sometimes as it just tastes better than our horrible tap water from creeks and a nasty lake .
Set your water out in a glass for a few days or so and see if anything grows in it . If it does do not use that water .

Also higher OG is just going to giver you a bit more ABV and not change much if it is not too high . However light beers start tasting a bit like you put a shot of vodka in if you get ABV too high . Stick to around 5 or 6 % and you should be good .
I also see no problem with more ABV . I like it .

Geoffm33 ;
I use honey sometimes and it always fades away after a month or so in the bottle . But I use strong tasting honey not the stuff you get in store normally . It tastes a lot different but that flavor goes way . I used regular honey one time and same results .

I bottled one week ago and I tasted one last night. They were carbed and clear but the taste was a little 'green' to me. Sort of tangy and cidery. I followed the OP recipe exactly with the exception of some extra hops at FO and slightly higer ABV (5.25%). It's not hoppy or bitter, just green, so I'm assuming it needs a little more time to condition in the bottle.

Give ita couple weeks to start tasting better . It is good beer .

Did 10 gal of the extract version this time and split it, 5 gal with Notty and 5 with Saflager23. (1st 5 gal batch went too fast).
I also added 1/2 lb of Honey malt, (because I had it around), and 8oz of rice syrup solids in place of 1lb of the DME as I only had 9lb.

Lesson learned for me: Getting 12 gal of wort to boil on my turkey fryer burner is just not happening :(, (time to get a new burner). I was only able to get it to about 210°f and that took a lot longer then the 60min boil time, good thing I did late additions of the DME.
Hydro came in at 1.041 and was a bit bitter but I think I'm good as that should mellow out as it ages.

Since this is up to 3374 posts I could not read them all; Anyone use Saflager23 on this? I have seen some good and bad posts on that yeast and was just wondering what to expect.

Use the burner from webstaurant.com . http://www.webstaurantstore.com/bac...ge-patio-stove-with-hose-guard/554BPHP17.html

You will be boiling that pot fast . It weighs a hefty 30 or so pounds but worth the lift since it will hold a huge pot of water with no problems . 210,000 BTU
It is also priced to buy .

dapete said:

Wow, even after 3 days tastes good. A little carbonation, a little green, but a great taste.

To my surprise, this brew floated last night after about a month or so in the keg. I didn't care for it because it was WAY too sweet due to high mash temp (~175). The strike temp should be about 156-158.

What have people done to give it better aroma in terms of dry hopping?

Mine has a slight "clovey" kinda taste almost like a Belgian but not that defined. Anybody else note this flavor early on? I'm kinda hoping its just green...I only had a 9 day primary, pulled it when it reached FG. Now its been in the keg for a week and its still there. I do have a lot of chill haze still so I'm wondering if its just a yeasty flavor that'll settle in another week or so.

Helly said:
I brewed a nice easy extract beer on Friday night, pretty similar to this. Steeped a little Crystal, used Pilsner dry extract and Centennial hops. It's bubbling away. I hope to have it on tap in a couple weeks.

I set mine in the fridge tonight to cold crash. Sample tasted awesome, I think this may be the base for the nice and easy house ale from now on. I'm gonna keg it this week in hopes to share it at party two weeks out.

Mine has a slight "clovey" kinda taste almost like a Belgian but not that defined. Anybody else note this flavor early on? I'm kinda hoping its just green...I only had a 9 day primary, pulled it when it reached FG. Now its been in the keg for a week and its still there. I do have a lot of chill haze still so I'm wondering if its just a yeasty flavor that'll settle in another week or so.

What yeast did you use?

Sounds like you might have fermented hot perhaps... Thats an off flavor if it's not intended by the yeast strain

What yeast did you use?

Sounds like you might have fermented hot perhaps... Thats an off flavor if it's not intended by the yeast strain

I agree, that's exactly what it sounds like. US-05. Started in mid to low 60's due to "apricot" off flavor some claim when in upper 60's with that yeast even though I've never experienced it. After 5-6 days, ramped up to mid to upper 60's to finish. That's my typical method for US-05 using a temp controller with probe duct taped to side of bucket in bubble wrap.

Water was RO. Hit all my numbers on brew day. I'm banging my head on the wall with this one. Feels like it should be perfect.

I agree, that's exactly what it sounds like. US-05. Started in mid to low 60's due to "apricot" off flavor some claim when in upper 60's with that yeast even though I've never experienced it. After 5-6 days, ramped up to mid to upper 60's to finish. That's my typical method for US-05 using a temp controller with probe duct taped to side of bucket in bubble wrap.

Water was RO. Hit all my numbers on brew day. I'm banging my head on the wall with this one. Feels like it should be perfect.

What temp did you pitch at though? I know some people pitch warm and cool down from there.. which could be the problem.

Sounds like a temp issues honestly, but I don't know..

I'm on my second batch of this after upping the 2-row to 10 lbs and increasing the hops to .50 oz per addition. Love it..

What temp did you pitch at though? I know some people pitch warm and cool down from there.. which could be the problem.

Sounds like a temp issues honestly, but I don't know..

I pitched at about 65-66. I'm with you it sure has all the earmarks of high temp. Maybe I'll verify my temp controller probe reading with a refrigerator thermometer and make sure it didn't go haywire.

Brewed mine on May 4th. Seems like it has now hit peak flavor.

image-2631712222.jpg

I brewed mine on April 23 and it tastes like it's at its peak too me. Of course there are only a few bottles left.

I brewed this beer on Sunday the 30th. I'm going to bottle it Tuesday the 9th. Do you think that is enough time for the yeast? It has been at terminal gravity for the last couple days and tastes good. I decided to skip the secondary.

Finally got round to brewing this one up today. Managed to hit the OG at 1.042 (at 82F) so I'm pretty pleased with that, especially given that by batch sparge stuck at the end, necessitating a lot of tipping the tun around to get it to drain.

I switched up the late hops to use the last ounce of Falconers Flight 7Cs that I had in the freezer, if it seems like it needs it I'll have at the dry hops with some Cascade, but it probably won't be needed.

Stashed away now in my new (old) temperature controlled ferm chamber with a freshly hydrated pack of Notty yeast, hopefully it won't go too crazy as I have it in a Better Bottle rather than a bucket, but my buckets are full of other brew so needs must.

Looking forward to having a taste of this one!

I brewed this beer on Sunday the 30th. I'm going to bottle it Tuesday the 9th. Do you think that is enough time for the yeast? It has been at terminal gravity for the last couple days and tastes good. I decided to skip the secondary.

Funnily enough I also brewed on the 30th and am in the same boat! For what it's worth, BM himself responded to this very similar situation and I'm following his advice.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/ce...ain-5-10-gall-42841/index101.html#post2520319

Made 5 gallons of this a month ago and my Dad and I polished off the entire keg in 5 days. Needless to say he has changed his opinion about my homebrew!

I have been steadily quaffing pint after pint of this now that it's carbed. It's very good and I will brew it again. I followed the recipe to the letter FWIW.

Brewed this last night. Used Chinook as the bittering and Hallertauer and Mt. Hood combined at 35,20,5 min. At the last second I added Chinook again at flame out just because I like the smell. I did this mainly because I don't have any Centennial and had used cascade in my last two beers and wanted something different. I got higher then expected 85% efficiency so according to Beersmith this should end up at 5% ABV. Can't wait to try this. Also using some washed US-05 and fermenting cool.

Adjusted the 5 gal recipe to my system and hit all my numbers and volumes perfectly today :mug: I varied the yeast from the original recipe, using a US-05 slurry from a 1.040 American wheat that I kegged yesterday. Looking forward to trying this recipe as it seems extremely popular.

2 weeks in primary, kegged and force carbed over 36 hours ready to tap on the 4th......5 days later and this thing still needs some time. The smell is wonderfull. The taste isn't there:confused: A little disappointed at this point as I had such high hopes for this, as I hit the numbers perfectly and the rave reviews it gets. Think I'll let it condition another week in the keg and hopefully it will blend and mellow out. Hopefully in a week it's as good as everyone says :mug:

2 weeks in primary, kegged and force carbed over 36 hours ready to tap on the 4th......5 days later and this thing still needs some time. The smell is wonderfull. The taste isn't there:confused: A little disappointed at this point as I had such high hopes for this, as I hit the numbers perfectly and the rave reviews it gets. Think I'll let it condition another week in the keg and hopefully it will blend and mellow out. Hopefully in a week it's as good as everyone says :mug:

I felt the same way about it, after a couple more weeks it was delicious.

It needs a week atleast to bulk condition and will taste better then. I fermented for 8 days and then kegged it. Tasted good but its better after close to a week and a half on tap.

Usually the case with most beer. It's gettin into its prime once the keg kicks.

Brewed this a few weeks ago, bottled last week. Tasted one after 4 days of conditioning, tasted REALLY GOOD! Can't wait to see how good it is after a few more days of conditioning. Great summer beer.

It needs a week atleast to bulk condition and will taste better then. I fermented for 8 days and then kegged it. Tasted good but its better after close to a week and a half on tap.

Usually the case with most beer. It's gettin into its prime once the keg kicks.

Maybe you guys could keg it, purge the air with CO2, let it sit in secondary for a week or so, then put in under pressure to carbonize it?

jflongo said:
Maybe you guys could keg it, purge the air with CO2, let it sit in secondary for a week or so, then put in under pressure to carbonize it?

Sure. But it's easier to just chill it and carb it and not touch it for an extra week until its ready if that's the case. No sense in putting off carbing it if you've got room in the keezer.

It's a decent light beer out of the gate. I was drinking it right around 13 or 14 days from grain to glass. Another week and it tasted better. It's not my favorite style or recipe by any stretch but its a light beer and BMC drinkers cup of tea everytime.

Just learned an important lesson, today: never brew when my three year old is home, but my wife isn't.

With all the distractions, my boil has gone like this:

2 lbs DME @ 60 min
1/4 oz Centennial @ 45 min
Reset timer @ 25 min
3lbs DME @ 10 min
1/4 oz Cascade @10 min
Oh **** why do I have leftover hops @ 10 min
1/4 oz Centennial @ 20 min
1/2 oz year-old Cascade @ 10 min
1/4 oz Cascade @ 5 min

Ummm... it'll be beer, but what kind and how good, I'm not sure.

Back