Shirron

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Reaction score
Okay, I just used my new Shirron wort chiller tonight on my Hop Rod Rye and MAN is this a great chiller. Straight off the flame out, and into the chiller, and I cant believe how cool the wort came out. Talk about a time save and a quick chill. My immersion chiller is out of business for good!

Excellent product!

Did you gravity flow through it or did you have to pump?

How did you filter the trub and hops before going through the chiller? Hop Back?

Gravity fed, and it worked great. As for filtering, my kettles false bottom does a great job, and catches a great deal. Im going to put together an inline filter for next time though.

I made my own backflush and cleaned it asap. Store bought, they're 17 bucks, plus shipping. It cost me 8 to make mine, and its the same thing.

Just make sure you also backflush it with something like PBW or Oxyclean, a simple hot water rinse will not be enough.

This comes from the mouth of John Blichmann (Therminator mfg).

Even better yet, is a caustic rinse.. something like BLC or an acidified cleaner, again coming from the words of Mr. Blichmann

Im looking it a shirron to chill seeing it took me 45 minutes to drop my last 10 gallon wort batch to pitch temp. Do you just run tapp water through it? did it chill as fast as you could run it through and lastly, are you using 3/8" or 1/2" lines?

It chilled down to pitching temps with gravity feed only, and took as long as it would normally take to drain my brew kettle into a carboy. Basically 7-10 minutes tops! Im using 1/2" I.D. lines for both water and wort.

Thanks for the tip Mindflux!

Can someone with the shirron scan or make a pdf of the instructions for me?

At the very least please type out what the instructions say for the first cleaning?

Dude said:
Can someone with the shirron scan or make a pdf of the instructions for me?

At the very least please type out what the instructions say for the first cleaning?

Dude, over on the green board there is a FAQ about it......

Back