Just got into lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbshen41

Reaction score
I know this question has bedeck brought up a million times; but I want to do away with carboys; after seeing all the post they scare me!!! And my question is if i do away with carboys do i do away with secondary's all together??? Or can a bucket do the same thing as an secondary Carboy? My question mainly has to do with lagers because my understanding is I have to transfer to secondary before putting in my keezer for 8 weeks!!! And with other beers do people just do away with secondary's and let beer sit in primary for weeks and then Straight to bottling???

I do all my lagering in kegs now, but if I was still bottling, I'd stick with the carboy. You don't want all the head space you get with buckets, and I say this as someone who mainly uses buckets for primary.

Kegs are ideal lagering vessels.
They have built-in handles.
They are lighter than carboys.
They are unbreakable.
They are pressurizable.
They are light-tight.
They can be heat-sanitized.
They have built-in diptubes.
They double as serving vessels.
The opening is bigger than that of a carboy (for cleaning, dry-hopping, oaking, etc.).

Also, if you're scared of carboys - use Better Bottles. And lager in kegs.

Better bottles and Kegs are about it for me. I don't really use 6 gallon buckets anymore. I mainly use the buckets for sanitizing stuff.

When you all refer to kegs are referring to sanke or ball mock kegs? Because with snakes you would have alot of headspace

Lagers are probably an exception to the "secondary not necessary" rule. Since the purpose of the extended cold aging is to produce as clean a flavor as possible, slight effects from the trub that would be unnoticed in an ale may be unwelcome in a lager.

This doesn't necessarily mean a secondary if you're kegging. As has been well covered already, you can lager in the keg. My point isn't that you want to add a secondary / bright tank phase for its own sake, you just want to get the beer off its trub before the lagering period. If you're bottling, that'll mean an extra racking.

Latest posts

Back