Call Of Duty

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
Damn this game is fun!

I am playing Reflexive on the wii.

I will argue with anyone that the pointer makes this game more immersive on the wii. With a controller that you can simply not touch anything and your crosshairs will stay in the same place is not realistic. You must hold the wiimote steady in order to line up a shot just like you would a real gun.

I have beat this one on the most insanely hard setting.

I most enjoy playing in the medium hard setting and collecting 2 of the big chain guns! Bad ass.

What version of COD are you playing, the newest one?

I am too. I'll post my review after I've played it a bit.

It is most fun on medium difficulty.

The truth is, on most levels you are outnumbered horribly, so while the "veteran" difficulty is most realistic, it is almost unwinnable.

There were a couple of levels that I thought were impossible on veteran, though I eventually did beat them.

Short controlled bursts with the biggest chain gun available are best. 2nd weapon should likewise be the biggest gun you can find, not a pistol.

I always hated the hardest difficulty on most CoD games, because of how ineffective your teammates are, and all the invisible checkpoints used. For example you might find yourself with half your squad on a street and get caught in an ambush. At this point you have to make it to a specific invisible checkpoint before the waves of enemies will stop spawning, and your squadmates will only move up when you do. That means you're constantly on point with bullets and grenades flying constantly and you can usually only take 2 hits before you're dead.

It's doable, but it makes the game feel like work, rather than a game.

I always hated the hardest difficulty on most CoD games, because of how ineffective your teammates are, and all the invisible checkpoints used. For example you might find yourself with half your squad on a street and get caught in an ambush. At this point you have to make it to a specific invisible checkpoint before the waves of enemies will stop spawning, and your squadmates will only move up when you do. That means you're constantly on point with bullets and grenades flying constantly and you can usually only take 2 hits before you're dead.

It's doable, but it makes the game feel like work, rather than a game.

Agreed. In easy they pick up grenades and chuck them, in veteran you are on your own.

In veteran (in a couple of places) an enemy combatant can be standing next to 3 of your "brothers" and they hardly notice as the guy offs you. (They only seem to shoot at YOU!;))

If you guys play Black Ops 2 on the PS3, hit me up. We play casual and usually end up talking beer. My PSN is Mobius570. My friends list is almost full, so if you get an error just send me a PSN message and I'll try to clear some room.

If you guys play Black Ops 2 on the PS3, hit me up. We play casual and usually end up talking beer. My PSN is Mobius570. My friends list is almost full, so if you get an error just send me a PSN message and I'll try to clear some room.

Might be worth picking up a ps3 just for that!

:mug:

I'm probably one of the few americans who doesn't love COD. They're solid games but I hate the EA churn model. Only EA games I play the fit into the churn model is FIFA because I think it's the only exceptional game in that model. I grew tired of COD after Black Ops because basically you're paying 60 bucks to play a game online. The Story mode or whatever is basically all the same regardless of the game. When it comes to shooters, I'm a Gears man. I prefer the 3rd person over the shoulder shooters to the FPS.

hoppyhoppyhippo said:
I'm probably one of the few americans who doesn't love COD. They're solid games but I hate the EA churn model. Only EA games I play the fit into the churn model is FIFA because I think it's the only exceptional game in that model. I grew tired of COD after Black Ops because basically you're paying 60 bucks to play a game online. The Story mode or whatever is basically all the same regardless of the game. When it comes to shooters, I'm a Gears man. I prefer the 3rd person over the shoulder shooters to the FPS.

I haven played call of duty since Battlefield 3 came out. I used to play COD religiously. I like you got tired of paying money for the exact same game over and over again. I bought gears of war but never got into it. BF3 was the last game I bought. Probably won't buy another game unless they release a new Battlefield

I used to love the CoD games but the single player story was never long enough so I ended up just going straight to multiplayer with MW2.

I haven't picked up my ps3 controller in months now. Have a 9 month old at home, so that's pretty much my free time.

Not to derail this thread but here's what my perfect game would be:

A first/third person shooter with RPG style play. Anyone remember Age of Empires or Civilization? I want a modern day game like that, where you build your own objects and gather resources, then defend and attack other bases. But here's the twist: you play as a certain character and at any time you can go into first person mode and attack other players like a FPS. Maybe you have to complete missions along the way to "level up" and get more access to guns and resources.

Think Age of Empires meets Grand Theft Auto meets Call of Duty.

Someone build that and I will waste all my free time playing it.

I still like playing COD multiplayer, especially while just sitting around having a few beers with the guys, but I've stopped falling for the "buy this year's game, now with NEW GUNS AND KILLSTREAKS!!!" business model. The campaign mode doesn't really interest me much, aside from a quick play-through to pick up achievements.

Not to derail this thread but here's what my perfect game would be:

A first/third person shooter with RPG style play. Anyone remember Age of Empires or Civilization? I want a modern day game like that, where you build your own objects and gather resources, then defend and attack other bases. But here's the twist: you play as a certain character and at any time you can go into first person mode and attack other players like a FPS. Maybe you have to complete missions along the way to "level up" and get more access to guns and resources.

Think Age of Empires meets Grand Theft Auto meets Call of Duty.

Someone build that and I will waste all my free time playing it.

I've wanted something like that since playing the Star Wars Battlefront games (I was a huge fan of AOE as well). The main interface would be a real-time strategy game, but you could pick an individual character and zoom in to their viewpoint, say for raiding bases or sniping enemies from behind the frontlines. Surely the idea has come up before, but I'm guessing no one has pursued it because of the difficulty of creating basically two separate game engines (RTS and FPS), making a way to slip seamlessly between the two, and fitting it all on a disc.

Anyone know a game developer?

Not what you are looking for, but Herzog Zwei actually let you distribute programmable battle bots to do certain tasks while you orchestrate the overall offensive (or defensive) but at any time you can jump in and assist the bots with any minor battle you want. You don't change characters, but you can jump in and out of battles. I wasted countless hours playing that.

I get absolutely KILLED in multiplayer. Guys shred me in the time it takes to focus in on their general area.

I am missing something. The wiimote is probably harder to play on since the gun is only as stable as your hand (like in reality) but these guys must be using wiimotes too.

I can't even tell if the auto targeting works I get killed so fast.

Had a good game this morning!

image.jpg

I get it now. You get more helpful shlt the more you play, and keep the "focus in" button on or close all of the time.

On the Wii, I noticed that weapon level matters A LOT. Once you get higher in level you can actually shoot from the hip with some success.

Just got an xbox and I'm rocking BO3. If I ever hit even on the K:D, I'm doing great. I'm a fricken bullet magnet.

B

I am having fun with shotguns. Just about have gold camo for the R870 and the KSG. Most frustrating thing in the game is the lag compensation.

Guys walk around the corner and shoot me dead while I was aiming at the spot knowing they were coming.

How do they aim so quick? Is the M-16 weak at headshots? I can't seem to give up the grenade launcher on that gun, but if the other guns are better I ned to switch.

I once believed I was a bad-ass after beating the game on "Veteran" setting and getting killed only a few times.

Multiplayer with a few noobs is 4X harder than the freaking game.

OK! I am getting it. I think part of it is that just starting out you are handicapped. Also the settings are critical.

Got 14 kills!!!

Loving the Mercenary Death Match

Can either side have the fuzzy gilly suits????? I start out with the marines and 3 guys in gillies, and this guy in a green gilly keeps killing me. I finally wised up and wasted him, but that seems wierd, that an iraqi (or whoever) would be wearing a woodland gilly suit.

COD4 is the last good call of duty. I still play it online whenever I'm in a "shootin' things" kinda mood. The only problem with it is there are some serious glitches that need patching but its a dead game to Activision so it will never happen. If you can get in a game with gentlemen who play by the rules, its still awesome.

COD4 is the last good call of duty. I still play it online whenever I'm in a "shootin' things" kinda mood. The only problem with it is there are some serious glitches that need patching but its a dead game to Activision so it will never happen. If you can get in a game with gentlemen who play by the rules, its still awesome.

What are the rules?

What are the rules?

just play the game the way it was meant to be played and don't use any of the exploits that would be patched out of the game if activision cared about it (ie don't glitch under the world and shoot people from off screen)

I like having a beer and playing my 12yo who wastes me every single darn time.

Watched him play online the other day and he was complaining about "campers": people that find a safe spot and camp out waiting for you just to pick you off. Get enough of them in one game and that is no fun.

Yeah, I saw a guy floating 20 feet in the air one time, but he didn't appear to be sniping!;)

Conversely, if you choose the sniper rifle, I think you are supposed to "camp". In team death match I sometimes find a team mate sniping from a good spot so I defend his stairwell so he can blast away unhindered. I consider that smart, but is that not gentlemanly? Usually the other team seems to have fun trying to dig us out.

Conversely, if you choose the sniper rifle, I think you are supposed to "camp". In team death match I sometimes find a team mate sniping from a good spot so I defend his stairwell so he can blast away unhindered. I consider that smart, but is that not gentlemanly? Usually the other team seems to have fun trying to dig us out.

I'd consider that both gentlemanly and a good use of tactics. Unpatched exploits are the real problem, and why I never both playing COD online anymore.

Well poop!

I wonder how you know someone is doing that? I sometimes die comploetely by surprise and figure I was sniped.

Well poop!

I wonder how you know someone is doing that? I sometimes die comploetely by surprise and figure I was sniped.

COD4 has the instant reply kill cam and its pretty obvious if someone was outside of the world or no-scope glitching ...obscene player names that would be blocked by xbox live is a dead give away too. Another red flag (but not a smoking gun) is if someone has a score of 45 kills/0 deaths when the number 2 player is 5kills/12deaths.

Been paying more attention to the "after death" camera view. More than a few show no one.

I am so inconsistent! I think map knowledge is a BIG part of it. I frag 14 in one match and then get 2 in the next.

I know that the group can vary, but there seem to be consistently one super hero and at least one other who gets 20 ish kills.

Been paying more attention to the "after death" camera view. More than a few show no one.

I am so inconsistent! I think map knowledge is a BIG part of it. I frag 14 in one match and then get 2 in the next.

I know that the group can vary, but there seem to be consistently one super hero and at least one other who gets 20 ish kills.

Here is tutorial I booked marked years ago. Its focused on COD4 but the general aiming and rushing strategy applies to most COD and fps games.

Last edited by a moderator:

Map familiarity is crucial, along with picking the right weapons set for the job. If you pick a sniper rifle on a close-quarters map, you'll probably never find a good place to pick people off. Likewise, bringing a shotgun to a big open map will probably get you wasted before you get close enough to anyone to get a good shot off.

I hate to say............that the video gbx posted is a little disheartening.

No wonder guys run up and waste me before I even see them coming. I tried it, and it works, but it isn't nearly as fun as creeping along checking for enemies.

Guess I need to go hardcore. The run and gun method is "realistic" if you had no fear of death and knew that you were immortal.

Map familiarity is crucial, along with picking the right weapons set for the job. If you pick a sniper rifle on a close-quarters map, you'll probably never find a good place to pick people off. Likewise, bringing a shotgun to a big open map will probably get you wasted before you get close enough to anyone to get a good shot off.

I agree with the sniper but with the shotguns, every map is a shotgun map :)

Back