Whatchagot IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jshine42

Reaction score
So I wanted to brew today and here's what I got in the grain store for what I wanted to brew. I looked through what I had for hops and I remembered I had some Citra in there and I've never used them before. I've got quite a bit of other hops in the freezer too so the hop schedule is completely movable. And and all feedback would be awesome..

Grain:
11 lbs 2 row
1 lb crystal 40
1 lb munich

Mash at 153.

1 oz Citra at 60
1 oz citra at 20
.5 oz Citra at Flame Out
.5 oz Amarillo at Flame Out

Cheers!

I would save the Citra for aroma and flavoring or dry hopping . Do you have magnum for bittering?

I do have Centennial , cascade , amarillo and Columbus and chinook. I'm thinking Columbus/centennial or chinook for the bittering charge.

Use Columbus for bittering... The obvious leader for that use out of those you listed. But .75 oz. will probably be enough in total.

I'd mash at 151, cut 1/4 lb. crystal out of the recipe, and double up on late additions 15-10-0-DH. You want to get about half of the IBUs and 100% of the Aroma from all those late additions. Add more Amarillo to get complexity and help the Citra from dominating.

+1 for Columbus. It's a very clean bittering hop. I made a series of SMaSH IPA's last year and even at 96 IBU, my Columbus batch was incredibly smooth.

Thanks for the Feedback!

Here's the Final.

11lbs 2 row
1 lb munich
12 oz crystal 40

.75 oz Columbus @ 60
1oz citra @ 20
1oz Amarillo @ 20
.5oz Citra @ FO
.5oz Amarillo @ FO
.5oz Citra Dry Hop
.5oz Amarillo Dry Hop.

I'm looking at brewing this in the next few days.. thanks for all the recipe help!

I plugged it all into Beersmith and I'm getting 73 IBU's.. Should be Tasty!

You're gonna want to double (or triple) the FO and DH. I'd also move 1 oz. from 20 to 10. Otherwise, looks good.

I didn't get to brew the other day; however, I just finished up the mash.. 82% eff... HOLY HELL! (first time using my own grain mill) From 62% to 82% I'm a happy camper.

Hope it turns out well! I think the recipe looks good! For an IPA, it is not necessary to go overboard with late hop additions and dry hopping. The aroma needs to be there but you don't have to dump half a pound of hops on it.

I tweaked at the last minute... (like always).. the last hop additions are all 1 oz each.. I had 1 oz of Amarillo and 2 oz of Citra.. I mixed them up and then measured out 1oz each. 20,10 and Flame Out.. Should be tasty.. these Columbus hops were home grown.. so depending on the crop.. it might be a hop punch or a Nice Pale. either way it should be good!

Hope it turns out well! I think the recipe looks good! For an IPA, it is not necessary to go overboard with late hop additions and dry hopping. The aroma needs to be there but you don't have to dump half a pound of hops on it.

blasphemy... :D

I tweaked at the last minute... (like always).. the last hop additions are all 1 oz each.. I had 1 oz of Amarillo and 2 oz of Citra.. I mixed them up and then measured out 1oz each. 20,10 and Flame Out.. Should be tasty.. these Columbus hops were home grown.. so depending on the crop.. it might be a hop punch or a Nice Pale. either way it should be good!

yeeaaahhh buddy! you will be so happy you did that!

Nice! Should be a nice stronger IPA! By the way I really like Citra. It pairs well with many US and NZ hops, sort of like a hyper citrus essence. As a bonus, it will freshen the room as fermentation peaks!

Pulled a Gravity sample off last night. 1.014.. and it tasted oh so good.. super cloudy. but amazing. I have a feeling if this turns out as good as I tasted last night.. this might be my new house IPA.. maybe scale back the gravity a bit.. somewhere in the 6% is what I was shooting for.. not 7.5%. Citra is amazing too.. not to over powering either.

Glad to hear it! And it will only get better over the next few weeks...I like the sound of 7.5% though...you never know when 6% just won't do the job!

Just kegged this.. 1.010... 8%.. SUPER Good.. Dry hopped with .5 oz of Citra and .5 oz of Amarillo.
This is going to happen again.

Jshine42 said:
Just kegged this.. 1.010... 8%.. SUPER Good.. Dry hopped with .5 oz of Citra and .5 oz of Amarillo.
This is going to happen again.

Great! Make sure to keep those notes safe!

Back