Beer cellar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForrestWoods

Reaction score
After doing tons of research I decided to take a closet in our finished basement and dedicate it to cellaring beer and wine. The closet stays between 52 and 56 degrees year round. I've slowly been buying and collecting, the count is up to 34 bottles ranging from 2007 to the present. Majority are Imp Stouts with some Trippels, Imp Porters and Barleywines thrown in the mix. Anyone else into cellaring and if so, whatcha got hiding down there? Cheers!

Do you find that cold enough for beer? (hey now let me explain) - I agree that some beers should be served at 50-55. But by the time you pour the beer into a warm glass, beer stored at 55 is going to warm up pretty quickly. I keep my stored beer in the low 40's - as the temperature will rise while being poured, and while being caressed by my girly hands.

What did you use for the wine storage? SWMBO wants be to build wine racks in the basement but I can't seem to find any place that sells them for a reasonable cost (might as well get a wine cooler for what some people charge for wooden racks). I could build them but they wouldn't look as pretty.

50-55 isn't my serving temp just the temp for long term storage. 40 is a little too cold if you want the beer to change over time (alcohol heat diminishing, flavors blending and mellowing etc). Come serving time they will hit the fridge for about an hour just to chill them a bit. It's pretty awesome what some time can do for a beer. My friend who got me started on this had me over for a vertical tasting of a fresh and a 2005 Dogfish Head World Wide Stout. Night and day! The fresh bottle was so hot with alcohol it was almost undrinkable but the 05 was velvety sexiness! As for the wine I dug a few racks up from my patents basement that were in good shape. The beer is supposed to be upright instead of lying down so they're on shelves

*Take a drink from his special cup Dr Robert*
I'm only 27 but an absolute Beatle nut thanks to my parents :)

Back