Black Chocolate Stout - Heaven in a glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMama

Reaction score
This evening I went out to a restaurant with the sis in law and family for her 30th B-day. Upon walking in I saw a tap for a 'Black Chocolate Stout' it was a white tap with black lettering. The waitress called it something like NY Dark Chocolate Stout - I called it heaven in a glass.

Sure it had a poor head, great lacing, and so so carbonation (Guess they were just running CO2 on this) but damn this was an AWESOME beer! Awesome mouth feel, wonderful (subtle) chocolate taste, and that feeling that I only read about here on the HBT forums - that 'belly warmer' feeling.

I was tossing around the idea of brewing a stout as my next beer, now its all but confirmed. The only thing that (almost) makes me sad is the fact that I havent gone AG (yet). At least I can find comfort in the fact that I can do full boils :)

Now I just need to decide if Im going to do a regular choco stout, or an oatmeal choco stout, or even the delicious looking DC Rasberry stout.
Decisions decisions!!! But damn, this beer was tits - it makes me feel inferior with my green beer. (Now my beer REALLY tastes green) LOL
I need to get a shopping!
-Me

Brooklyn's Black Chocolate Stout is one of my favorites. If you can find this where you live buy a couple of 6 packs, and put them a way. You'll thank yourself in a year!!!

Yeah, this is one of my favorites too. I've gone through several six packs this season. I need to go grab a couple more before it's too late.

Mmmmmmm, yes - thats it! Now the hunt is on to locate some of these brews in the bottle. (Unless I want to hijack the tap from the restaurant)

Gonna have to try to brew a stout similar to this. Even the in laws thought it was very nice. (And they are wine snobs!)
-Me

BYO is reported to have/had? a clone recipe for this but I've not been able to find it online anywhere.

It's on pp. 5-6 of the 150 Classic Clone Recipes edition.

I typed it into BeerSmith and have exported as BeerXML for others to import but I don't know if I can upload that as a recipe here.

It's on pp. 5-6 of the 150 Classic Clone Recipes edition.

I typed it into BeerSmith and have exported as BeerXML for others to import but I don't know if I can upload that as a recipe here.

Can you PM/email it to me? I'd love to see what it's all about... :tank:

There's a clone recipe for this in Beer Captured. I was going to make it for one of my next batches. I can post up the recipe for that when I get home to see how it compares to the BYO version. I'd be interested to hear if anyone's made either clone recipe before, and if so how they compare to the original.

Is the original BBCS definitely bottle conditioned? I've just bought half a dozen bottles of it, and if they're worth aging I'll definitely add a few to the beer cellar...

Ok, here goes. I think I have this attachment thing figured out.

Pls check the file before using it.

Ok, here goes. I think I have this attachment thing figured out.

Pls check the file before using it.

Thanks for the upload. I have a couple of comments.

This is remarkably similar to (and likely the inspiration) for a an extract recipe (below) my sons and I brewed up when we first started. My son's are huge "Youngs Double Choc" fans and found this somewhere on the net. It was our 2nd or 3rd brew ever.

It turned out to be one of our favorites but we were disappointed in comparison to a "double chocolate" like beer. If we do it again I'll add some oats (to cream it up some) and find a different source of chocolate - the cocoa (dry form and extract) just didnt' get it done. I'll also up the choc malt or add some roasted barely or black patent to darken the brew up.

002 Double Chocolatte Stout
Author: Internet
Date: 9/7/08

Size: 5.0 gal
Efficiency: 58.1%
Attenuation: 67.6%
Calories: 180.54 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.054 (1.048 - 1.065)
Terminal Gravity: 1.017 (1.010 - 1.018)
Color: 24.01 (22.0 - 40.0)
Alcohol: 4.76% (4.2% - 5.9%)
Bitterness: 37.8 (25.0 - 40.0)

Ingredients:
.5 lb 2-Row Brewers Malt
.75 lb Crystal Malt 60°L
.75 lb Chocolate Malt
12 oz Lactose
4.7 lb LME, UC Pale
8 oz Invert Sugar: Corn Syrup
4 oz White Table Sugar (Sucrose)
6 oz Cocoa Powder - added during boil, boiled 60 min
2.0 tsp Chocolate Extract - added dry to secondary fermenter
.5 tsp Yeast Nutrient (AKA Fermax) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
2.0 oz Fuggle (4.8%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
.25 oz Goldings (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
1.0 ea White Labs WLP002 English Ale
0.0 tsp Priming Sugar

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

Notes
Brewed 9/7/08
OG 1.051
9/14 G = 1.018
9/21 G = 1.0165 Secondary
9/29 G = 1.0165 Bottled

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.2

I have heard lots of good things about this beer. I may have to try to locate a six-pack of it. It's a seasonal, right? Might be sold out...

FYI, though it doesn't have the black chocolate stout recipe, Papazian's MicroBrewed Adventures has the owner's (homebrewer) original chocolate stout recipe in there. I don't know how close it'd be to the black chocolate stout, but i thought it was cool that i came across it tonight.

"Beer Captured" has the following for Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout:

OG: 1.089
FG: 1.022
SRM: 100+
IBU: 47
ABV: 8.4%

14lb British 2-row
1lb US Wheat malt
15oz British chocolate malt
7oz British roasted barley
4oz flaked wheat
3oz British black patent malt
(90 minute mash @ 152F)

2.5oz EKG @ 90 minutes
0.5oz EKG @ 15 minutes
0.5oz Cascade @ 15 minutes
0.5oz Willamette @ 5 minutes
0.5oz Cascade @ 5 minutes

It is seasonal and can be hard to find after December.

Trapeze in Athens had it on tap when we stopped by in late november. Don't know if that is close to Peachtree, or not, but the bar is pretty cool and worth a visit if it is.

FWIW, there's still a ton floating around NYC still. I had a bottle last night, and I think it was infected. Sour and disgusting.

I brewed the Beer Captured Clone a while back and finished the last bottle on its 4th anniversary. Very tasty.

14lb British 2-row
1lb US Wheat malt
4oz flaked wheat
(90 minute mash @ 152F)

2.5oz EKG @ 90 minutes
0.5oz EKG @ 15 minutes

any idea what yeast one might use with this?

Could maybe try a safale-05? Wouldn't detract from the chocolate flavor or add anything nasty to the taste IIRC.

05 would work. I found another thread asking about 05 or notty for a RIS and the general consensus was notty might be better. I don't have enough experience with either to really have an opinion, though.

Also, i just put the recipe from above into beer alchemy and i have a few questions. According to brooklyn's site they use fuggles and willamette and the ABV is 10.1 % with a OG of 1.096.

Do people think the recipe from beer captured 'tastes' like BCS, or would it make more sense to raise the ingredient proportions to match the brooklyn's OG?

The last time I had that on tap, It came in a goblet and it should. Really good beer.

David

LOL Looking back on this thread I decided to try AHSs DC Stout MM kit. I brewed it and threw in a vial of raspberry flavoring into the primary.

Month later it was kegged (but not that good)
Couple of months pass by and it was 'okay' but not what I expected.
6 month mark and it was one of the best beers I have ever tasted. (Others said the same) and I nearly cried when that keg was gone. That was a damned tasty beer! (Took it long enough to get there!)
-Me

14lb British 2-row
1lb US Wheat malt
4oz flaked wheat
(90 minute mash @ 152F)

2.5oz EKG @ 90 minutes
0.5oz EKG @ 15 minutes

sorry to be bringing up an old thread here, but I recently brewed a batch with this recipe. Any notes on fermentation time / conditioning with the recipe? I'm assuming it's similar to other Imperial Stouts meaning 3-4 + Months in the bottle?

Me too, I brewed mine on Super Bowl Sunday. I would wait a minimum of three months. My OG came up short at 1.075 and my gravity one week later was 1.028 with no airlock activity. I'm not worried I'll check it again next week. I just hope it drops some more. I also hope it tastes like BCS. BTW, I used WL002 yeast per recommendation of the site I found the recipe on.

14lb British 2-row
1lb US Wheat malt
4oz flaked wheat
(90 minute mash @ 152F)

2.5oz EKG @ 90 minutes
0.5oz EKG @ 15 minutes

Just for the record, BBCS has an abv of 10.0% so that recipe isn't too much of a clone at 8.4%, imo.

Sounds like a tasty brew! I don't think I can get that in MO, but I might have to brew it up anyway!

Headed up to NY for the holiday weekend. We are spending Friday happy hour at the Brooklyn Brewery and I sure hope they still have this on tap.

Just for the record, BBCS has an abv of 10.0% so that recipe isn't too much of a clone at 8.4%, imo.

Yeah, they don't use wheat either. However, this is the only recipe I could find and since I'm not advanced enough to come up with my own recipes (I've tried) I decided to brew this anyway.

Been sitting for a few months, opened my first bottle from this recipe. Absolutely delicious. Ended up about 8.5% abv (which is quite a bit lower than Brooklyn's version at 10%) but to be honest, I liked it just as much. Great flavors and just boozy enough. Was a big hit with the wife. Should have timed it for the fall/winter - definitely not a summer beer.

Then let it sit until fall/winter, it will get even better! Brew a cream ale or something that doesn't take as long to ferment and drink that towards the end of July, beginning of August and buy commercial stuff for month or so. Small price to pay for an awesome aged beer!

Back