wild hop hunting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RodfatherX

Reaction score
So, I was thinking this weekend. Of maybe going out to into the woods around where I live to do a little hunting for wild hops. Has anyone ever tried this? Any ideas on how wide spread wild hops actually are in the US? Any info at all would be helpful. Except for people saying don't waste your time or why don't you just buy them.

Kinda wondering If they are anywhere besides like the northwest. Maybe a few spots by long time german or english fields. Kinda doubt that they are widespread "free range" in Ten. But if there is a hop farm nearby maybe so with animal contamination

Hops have been grow in most regions of the US, so there is a good chance anything you find is feral rather than wild (native is what I mean here). Fuggles & Brewers Gold were the most common older hops & we have Fuggles all over the place around here. I made a batch (Which Ditch) last year using hops from my neighbor's farm. His grandfather grew hops back in the 1920's, so I know they are feral and probably Fuggles. I won't do it again. I used a pound of fresh hops & didn't get much of anything in the brew.

Plus, most of my hops are in their third year & I expect to have plenty.

I can't speak to wild hops in other states. I can tell you that once you've seen them in your yard, at a brew pub or at a commercial grower then you will be able to identify wild ones. They are growing in several places along the front range of the Rockies, here in Colorado. They are wild for I have found them in places that no one would want to plant them. I ahve about 20 wild plants growing on a Colorado State U. Ag Research far. About 6 plants are males.

Actually, hops used to be grown extensively commericially on the east coast especially upstate NY. They were prone to mildew and other moisture related damage and that is why the center of hop growing transfered to the west coast especially, Oregon and Washington.

As to finding "wild" ones or rather feral as another poster stated. Sure. Most likely you would look where a farm is or was at one time. A buddy of mine found some very active hops growing at my former (his current) workplace which used to be a farm here in Northeastern VT. He dug some of the root crown up and we both planted them. I cannot tell you yet if they are worth a damn but the buggas are growing like mad. They are wicked full and taking over, unfortunately no burs yet. My first year cascades (purchased) are poppin out all over the place though! I plan on making some small one gallon batches from all my varieties to see how they are (flavor and aroma particularly) so if the "wild ones" ever produce I'll try and post. That is if I can trust my buddy and they are actually cone producing females... :drunk:

whoa boy.

I can't speak to wild hops in other states. I can tell you that once you've seen them in your yard, at a brew pub or at a commercial grower then you will be able to identify wild ones. They are growing in several places along the front range of the Rockies, here in Colorado. They are wild for I have found them in places that no one would want to plant them. I ahve about 20 wild plants growing on a Colorado State U. Ag Research far. About 6 plants are males.

Have you ever brewed with your wild hops? I found some in the Springs, but it was well after harvest time. I was planning on messing around with them this year.

I found some wild hops on an old ranch in Colorado. I tried to germinate the seeds, but nothing came of it. I even froze them to simulate the winter. PM me if you would like the location of the hops. There were both male and female plants there.

The USDA has plant collection expeditions throughout the US. They had one in Colorado for hops. http://www.ars-grin.gov/cor/reprints/hopexpedition2002.pdf

I found some wild hops on an old ranch in Colorado. I tried to germinate the seeds, but nothing came of it. I even froze them to simulate the winter. PM me if you would like the location of the hops. There were both male and female plants there.

The USDA has plant collection expeditions throughout the US. They had one in Colorado for hops. http://www.ars-grin.gov/cor/reprints/hopexpedition2002.pdf

Thanks for the info! Great link too!

As I mentioned, I've got a ton of wild ones growing near me, I just need to figure out if they are any good to brew with.

It was my understanding that the best way to replant hops was to harvest some of the rhizome (root?).

Have you ever brewed with your wild hops? I found some in the Springs, but it was well after harvest time. I was planning on messing around with them this year.

I have brewed with wild Arizona hops.

The beer didn't come out very good at all. Too oily, as I ended up using hops with lots and lots of seed.

Plus, the AA% was probably really low as there was no bitterness at all.

I have brewed with wild Arizona hops.

The beer didn't come out very good at all. Too oily, as I ended up using hops with lots and lots of seed.

Plus, the AA% was probably really low as there was no bitterness at all.

Thanks! I think I'll try a small batch this year, maybe a gallon or so, and see how it comes out before I go crazy harvesting them.

Thanks! I think I'll try a small batch this year, maybe a gallon or so, and see how it comes out before I go crazy harvesting them.

I'd recommend nothing more than a 1.045 OG. Mine was way too high and didn't give the hops a chance.

also, actually measuring your hops would be good.

I basically took all I had, used 1/2 at 60, 1/4 at 15, and 1/4 at 5. But, I have no idea how many ounces I had!

My brother - in western Connecticut - has hops growing in his back yard on his fence - he did not plant them, they grow wild. I am going to take some this summer and put them in a brew and see what happens.

I've scouted all over upstate NY and haven't seen any other hops growing wild... There are a TON of grapes tho....:mug: I can say that the hops I've planted have grown and produced quite well, just make sure you use some sand in the soil mix.....

I wonder if the seed making process diminishes the AA%? The ones that I harvested had decent AA% and made seeds. The guys at the brew store thought that they were Hellertau-ish. I did not dig rhizomes, but I may.

yes, i can guarantee that once a seed is developing, energy is diverted away from the other aspects of staying alive.

it also (I think) puts a booster rocket under the tannin extraction graph.

I know this is a very old thread but Ben, did you ever find any wild hops in West TN?

Im in middle TN and have some rhizomes ordered, first time growing. Have you had good luck growing them?

Back