How long will 1step stay viable

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkyDog

Reaction score
I mixed up a half gallon of 1 step in a plastic pitcher to sanitize my wine thief today. Can I just rinse the thief after using and put back in the same solution until tomorrow, when I plan to take another hydrometer reading, or do I need to mix up another batch of sanitizer then?

Thanks

The lady at my LHBS told me that one step is good as long as you hear the bubbles. I haven't tested it over a long period, but a day or two would be fine I would think.

Back when I used to use one-step, before I learned about proper sanitization and switched to iodophor, I found that an open container of onestep maintained bubbles for 24 hours...So it would be longer in a closed contaier, but how much I couldn't say.

Here's a thread from earlier in the week where we talked about onestep versus other sanitizers https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=54932

Back