Venison Recipes??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tophe

Reaction score
For all you veinson eaters out there, anyone have any good recipes for venison? Mine always turns out great, but I never follow any recipes really, just season it and cook it and its always good, but im lookin for some good recipes to try. Ive found lots on the internet, but not many with any feedback as to how people like them.

So..share your venison ideas here......

I cooked some of my inside tenderloins into fajitas. Just bought some fajita seasoning . They were awesome!!

Fajita from tenderloin ought to rock.

Are you a mincemeat fan at all? If yes, any "modern" mincemeat recipe with half the beef replaced with venison is going to rock. You might want to replace all the beef with vension, depending on the crowd.

Use some fresh tenderloin for Venison Tartare. (Alternatively, you can freeze the tenderloin in small portions just after you butcher it and mince it up from the frozen state with a sharp chef's knife). As always with raw meat, the caution is to make sure it's fresh.

Finely mince about 4 oz. of Tenderloin.
Mix in about oh:
1/4 tsp Dijon
Dash of Cognac or Brandy
Dash Salt
Quick grind of Black Pepper

Mix, and let rest in the fridge for about 10 minutes.

In the meanwhile:
Finely mince a Shallot or two (substitute Red Onion if you can't find Shallot)

On a small chilled plate, make a small mound of the minced Shallots, and then next to it place a small mound of drain Capers (preferably non-pareil..the little guys). Next mound the Tartare in the center of the plate, and make a slight depression on the top of the mound. Seperate a fresh egg (preferably from a local farm) and place the yolk carefully on top. Serve with small Pumpernickel bread. I used some small sourdough Rye rolls I made from scratch last time I made this.

You scoop up some Tartare, place it on the bread piece and top with some Shallot and Caper.

Enjoy!

Pound thin some Venison steaks(usually from the hind quarters)
Dip in flour (remove excess).
Dip in beaten egg with a little milk.
Dip in seasoned breadcrumbs.

Let them rest a few minutes and then shallow fry in Olive Oil over medium-high heat. Flipping once, when they are well browned. Remove to a cooling rack placed over a sheet pan, set this into a low oven (like 170ish) until you have them all cooked. Garnish with a lemon wedge (please squeeze it on the cutlets as you eat!), and if you want to get fancy some Capers on the side, and if you want to go over-the-top, fry an egg for each person you'll serve and place that on top. :D

Leftovers are killer on a sandwich roll with some Aioli.

never tried any kind of minced meat recipes . The cutlets sound good though. Ive fried up some chops before in a similar fashion....Oh, and whats a caper? It that a kind of mushroom?

Mmmmmm capers. I love them, my wife is not a huge fan. They are the flower buds of the caper plant. They're kind of olive like in flavor, more aromatic, a bit lemony, sour (they are typically pickled). I have some salted ones to try and hope my wife will like them better so I can use them more often. Classically served with preserved salmon and in Italian sauces. I've you've been to a brunch or buffet that has Lox and there are little green balls in a nearby bowl, or on with the salmon itself. Those are capers.

Haven't used it on Venison however... our stock fajita marinade is made up of (sorry quantities are usually not measured):

lime juice
good hoppy IPA
cumin
chili powder
oregano
whole smashed garlic (use 2-3 cloves per steak)
onion powder
paprika
parsley
hot pepper to taste
and a splash of olive oil

Let marinate over night, cook on a very hot open grill and YUM!
we usually cook the onions, peppers, etc in a skillet with the left over marinade.

My family eats venison 2-3 times a week. Some of my favorites are "Tac-Does" ( Old ElPaso Taco Kit made with Ground Deer instead of Ground Beef ), "Deer Burger Helper" ( yeah - hamburger helper with deer just like it sounds ).

There is all kinds of good **** you can make with deer.

Deer tenderloin doesn't last long around our house, tenderloin sliced into medallions, flour and pepper, brown it in the pan, eat it between two halves of a biscuit ! Take an extra one in your pocket with you whthen you go to the deer woods.

You know what else is awesome ? Deer Jerkey!!

Slice deer meat nice and thin ( its easier to slice if its frozen ), then season it with a little oil, woozy sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, and as much pepper as you like. Let it sit in the fridge like that a couple of days, then dry it on a rack in the oven overnight or for about 12 hours at maybe 150F. Its damn awesome.

Another favorite at my house is "Doeganoff" ( Deer Stroganoff ). Cut deer meat into 1/2 cubes, season, brown, then add a can of cream of mushroom soup a couple of beef builion cubes and simmer on low for an hour or more. Serve it with rice or noodles - kids love it. Even my wife loves it now, and she wouldn't even taste venison before she married me.

Yeah I love deer jerky. I made some last month and it was gone quick. Seasons almost over so i'll have more time to make some. Last year i used sliced meat and a brine, but I bought the jerky shooter this year and made some from ground. It came out a lot better than I thought too. Easy too.

I have two vegan venison recipes:

Tears in my Tofu
Slice tofu into long strips and deep fry in bio-diesel grade 100% vegetable oil.
Put Bambi into the DVD player.
Dip to-fries into free range soy sauce and dry your tears with recycled napkins.

...and for a more action packed afternoon...

Salad to Go
Make a green salad that includes nothing palatable.
Pack the salad in large, recycled brown paper bags that say, "Don't shoot!"
Stake out some public land on the first day of buck season.
Begin chanting, "Save the bucks, ignorant f***s!"
Be prepared to move quickly.

I know, bad stereotypes, I'll consider myself slapped.

To add some value to this post, my aunt used to make a FANTASTIC venison neck roast. She slow cooked it in beef broth with all the standard stew fare: onions, carrots, potatoes, etc. I never would've guessed that such a sinewy part of the animal could taste so good!

This is my favorite recipe once the tenderloins are gone

Venison round steak cut into serving size pieces
Tenderize, dredge in seasoned flour and brown in hot bacon grease.
Place in a big cassarole dish and cover with the following mixture
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 bottle of brown ale or porter
onions and garlic to taste
1 package Au Juice mix

Bake covered for 1 hour at 350*

Mix up a batch of Bisquick biscuit batter, using slightly more water than is called for. Spoon this mixture on top of the steak and gravy and bake uncovered for another 30 minutes or until the biscuits are brown on top.

I use this marinade often. My family loves it.

Venison Marinade

1/2 Cup Soy Sauce
1 Can Pineapple Juice (6 oz) orange juice works good too!
1/3 Cup Olive Oil
1 Medium Onion-Chopped
2 Cloves Garlic-Crushed
1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar

I generally use steaks, chops, or a roast. I cut the meat into thin strips and marinade overnight.

Slice up some onions and peppers and saute in a large pan with butter or oil until translucent.

Add the meat and some or all of the marinade to the pan and cook on medium heat until meat has been browned and cooked through.

Make a flour or cornstarch and water slurry and thicken sauce

Serve over rice (wild rice is awesome) :rockin:

I like to take the tenderloin/backstap and cut a slit lengthwise not all the way through, but almost and fill it with finely chopped onion, bell pepper, garlic, whatever else I have on hand, wrap the whole thing up with bacon, marinade with whatever is available, and grill on low.

Tophe said:
never tried any kind of minced meat recipes .

Raw meat is a little scary to most people, but as long as it is fresh and parasite free, I assure you it is amazing and perfectly safe to eat.

Back