Filtered water or tap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbriscoe

Reaction score
which do I use?

I got a Brewer's best kit and the recipe doesn't say how much water to boil the grains in. How big of a pot do I need and how much water to use?

Also, where can I find a floating thermometer?

If you have a filter, by all means, use filtered water.

You should not be boiling grains - you'll likely steep them at somewhere around 150-160 degrees F, but you do not want to boil them.

If you post up the ingredients/recipe and other info on the kit you're trying to brew people can offer advice on how much water you should be using - I am rather surprised to hear that the kit doesn't tell you, because it makes quite a difference.

olllllo said:
That go to 212F.

The hell kind o fish we talking 'bout? :D

I do not appreciate this kind of a response.... The question was about floating thermometers. It did not contain how high it would read.

Got anything positive to contribute to this thread? Like where one could obtain such an item.?

Mr Nick said:
I do not appreciate this kind of a response.... The question was about floating thermometers. It did not contain how high it would read.

Got anything positive to contribute to this thread? Like where one could obtain such an item.?
Careful man -- he's a new mod just itching to ban someone!

:D

Seriously, I am certain the comment was meant in jest. Clearly the poster wanted to use the thermometer for brewing, so I think you might have walked into that one. :cross:

RDWHAHB, and be merry! :mug:

Oh -- regarding the thermometer -- nearly any homebrew store will sell these, but I wouldn't recommend them: they break really easy and (from my experience) they tend not to be very accurate.

Mr Nick said:

I thought it was pretty funny.

bbriscoe said:
I thought it was pretty funny.

I guess it is... for those who enjoy humor at the expense of others. That is what I did not appreciate about the response.

I am not offended by it...Just did not appreciate it.

My LHBS recommends the stick thermometer for the same reasons mentioned here, accuracy and durability.

To the original question, tap vs filtered/bottled et cetera...

For extract brewing the general rule is if it's safe to drink it's safe to brew with.

All Grain brewing can get a BIT more complex, and brewing any kind of "clone" because water can affect flavour.

Mr Nick said:
I guess it is... for those who enjoy humor at the expense of others. That is what I did not appreciate about the response.

I am not offended by it...Just did not appreciate it.
Please don't feel singled out or picked on personally, Nick. That kind of stuff flies around here all the time. It isn't directed at anyone in particular (I'll leave Cheese and Orpheus out as exceptions). The forum is pretty relaxed and laid back, and most people are comfortable with that. But you might be new(-ish) to the 'gang', so perhaps this sort of 'humour' isn't familiar -- that's understandable. :)

Hey, where in western Canada are you from? Just noticed that you are a fellow Canuck!

FlyGuy said:
Please don't feel singled out or picked on personally, Nick. That kind of stuff flies around here all the time. It isn't directed at anyone in particular (I'll leave Cheese and Orpheus out as exceptions). The forum is pretty relaxed and laid back, and most people are comfortable with that. But you might be new(-ish) to the 'gang', so perhaps this sort of 'humour' isn't familiar -- that's understandable. :)

Hey, where in western Canada are you from? Just noticed that you are a fellow Canuck!
I appreciate your involvement in this thread FlyGuy. I have skin that is thicker than most, (No need for any flame suits for this dude).

I have slung that kind of humor with the best. Problem is...that each time I have got involved in it. Someone somewhere gets hurt, and it turns sour. Each time that happened I promised myself I would never go there again. I gave in many times until finally I decided enough is enough.

Yes I am new here, and may find another way to respond after hanging around awhile longer. But until and if that happens I will remain sensitive to participating in any of it.

I am living in the country, east of Mission City (which is one of the cities) in the lower mainland, otherwise known as Vancouver...by those who are unfamiliar with the South Coast of British Columbia. :mug:

Back