Amaratto stout or porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it'd go really well in a coffee porter as coffee mixes well with it.

Or coffee stout with some lactose?

Forget the coffee! This is a great idea - I can't believe I never thought of it! Add a bottle of amaretto to the secondary or the appropriate amount at bottling. I bet it'll be fantastic!

Actually, I've got a generic dry stout in the primary right now that I was going to add some coffee to. I think you might have inspired me to try this.

And you've got me thinking about some weird things, now, too. Amaretto + mixed lambic culture = amaretto sour beer?

I think you would get the almond flavor, but it may be different than you expect because there is a lot of sugar that will ferment out and then might not taste the same

Most grocery stores sell Almond Extract for baking. The smell is IDENTICAL to amaretto and the taste is pretty similar. I had the same idea but have decided to go with extract instead (haven't brewed yet, just another recipe in the pipeline). I'm thinking a strong, toasty stout with the extract added in secondary. Hopefully the almond/amaretto is strong on the nose and then slides away with the full body of the stout.

I think I'm going to split my batch 3 ways, I'm going to try the amaretto, the extract and just leaving it as is.

I added a whole bottle of amaretto to the secondary, let it ferment out, and kegged it yesterday. All I can say is, way more subtle than I was expecting, and AWESOME. Thanks for the idea.

I don't remember the brand and I tossed out the bottle. I asked for whatever was cheapest. It was a 750 ml bottle.

Back