questions about hefe-weisse recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tellish33

Reaction score
This is my dads favorite beer. I was wandering a few things. What's a good extract recipe guideline to go by and is this a special ferment beer (do you ferment cold or normal temps)? Thanks in advance.

The number one important thing about this beer is temperature control. The number two important thing is yeast starter. Ferment in the mid to low 60's, I do 62. As far as extract, I believe there is a hefeweizen extract. If not just use wheat and 2 row extract and you'll be fine 2:1 ratio.

Use hallertau or tetnanger hops.

You can use just light wheat dme. When the maltser makes wheat extract it is 50% wheat and 50% pilsner malts. For a bavarian hefe that is the desired ratio.

Now I agree with great about the ferment temps if you are doing an American style hefe.

Now if you want a Bavarian style with the clove and banana flavors you need to ferment at higher temps. 65 to 68 deg F are going to maximize those flavors. The closer to 65F the more clove and closer to 68 the more banana.

Hop you just need a 60 minute addition of about 15 to 20 ibus. Using a nice German noble hop would be best.

Back