1st Lager ferment times and temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rra24403

Reaction score
I am trying my 1st lager brew, I have just started back to brewing after 30 years and my ale beer so far are coming out great!
I am alittle confused after reading here and other books as to the length of time in the primary fermenter and temps after it kicks in.
Then temps in secondary and length of time there too.

My reciepe is a Bock:
9lbs Briess Pilsen malt ext.
2lbs Munich malt 10L
1lb Crystal malt 145L
1/8 lb Roasted Barley

I used 2 oz of loose Perle
1oz of Mt. Hood Loose

yeast was White Labs German Lager liquid.

It took 2 days at 68 f to get started
then I put it in the garage at 48 f
it's been doing good now for 5 days at 48 f

Do I wait until it really slows down like my ales the rack to secondary?
Or what?
Thanks Randy

Especially good if you leave your lager on the primary yeast until all fermentation has ceased. Keeping the headspace on your lager to a minimum when you rack is good as it allows the co2 comming out of solution to blanket your brew and protect it for the long cold lagering peroid from o2.

Another note is starting your lager at higher than lager fermenting temps. This will cause you to get more fussels and esters out of your yeast than you really want in a clean tasting lager.
If you haven't already read this book, http://www.howtobrew.com/ then I recommend you have a look at it, especially regarding the lager section.

Cheers and good luck

Just scanned the site.
Thanks I had read this online book before but forgot where it was.
I think I got a better handle on it now.
Cheers

Dude what that gezzer says bought high temps stuffing ya brew is all true. If you wana get round it buy a temp controller STC-1000 for example set it up with a fridge and a small 40w cupboard heater and you will be jizzing when you taste the difference. Works well for lagering get ya fridge down to 2dec celcius (35.6f) and you will have primo brew! as long as you did everything right! Just like getting a taste of ya first christmas pudding!

Back