Boulevard Double Wide and Tank 7

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dankev

Reaction score
My brother got me a mixed 4 pack of Boulevard with a nice glass for the holidays. I was super excited, as I've been hearing great things about Boulevard, but there's not a lot of it around here.

I'm sampling the Double Wide IPA and the Tank 7 saison. I've been mostly drinking American ales lately, and the Belgian yeast in the saison (and I assume the IPA) kind of makes me want to vom. I'm really bummed out, because I was so looking forward to these. I wasn't expecting to love the saison, since I'm not crazy about Belgians, but I was just disappointed by the IPA. I had high expectations.

Anyone have opinions on these beers, or Belgian yeast in general?

My opinion is that they're both excellent beers. I have definitely never noticed any typical Belgian esters in all the bottles of Double Wide I've had, so no idea what you're tasting. I'd say Tank 7 is the least offensive in the entire Smokestack lineup, but still by far one of the better Saisons I've had recently.

I got one of those mix 4 packs for my dad yesterday since he didn't believe that Boulevard could put out anything worth raving over (and for the free glass, but hey, it was with the beer in mind), and he never mentioned anything about old or otherwise spoiled bottles.

When I smell the Double Wide, the first thing that hits me is eau de old cheese. It's not nearly as strong as a typical Belg or the Tank 7, but it is enough to turn me off of the beer. I much prefer what I consider the cleaner flavor of American ale yeast. I've been trying to find out what strain they used, but I can't find it anywhere.

The Tank 7 definitely has a distinctive yeast finish - kind of peppery. Not really my favorite, but I did finish the bottle I tried.

I have that gift pack in my fridge right now. Last time I had Double Wide, I thought it was pretty tasty, and speaking from memory here, but the only notable yeast flavor was maybe fruity English type esters. Definitely didn't notice any Belgian-ish flavors. I'll have to drink the bottle I have and see if I notice anything like that now.
Another thought is if you drank the Tank 7 first, maybe it screwed with your pallatte. I know if I drink a beer that really offends my pallatte, it can stick with me all night, I'll keep tasting the flavors I disliked in every other brew i drink.

I really like tank 7. a friend brewed a AG clone at my house it goes to bottle this week cant wait to try it. and for those who say they don't like Belgian's you need to expand your taste. those yeast can throw off some really good esters and make a beer really complex.

Keg 1 Dark Saison
Keg 2 Vanilla Coffee Milk Stout
Keg 3 Robust Porter
keg 4 APA
Keg 5 German Rye
Keg 6 Root Beer

primary empty

secondary 20 gal Black Imperial IPA to be barrel aged
Belgian Wit
Blackberry Cobbler
Apple Wood Smoked IPA
Russian Imperial Stout