Keg Tower insulation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpbergie

Reaction score
Any suggestions on what to use for the inside of a keg tower for insulation? Im building out the Sanyo and my tower has none.

The best insulation to use for a draft tower, IMHO, is closed cell foam, black armorflex piping insulation. It can be found at just about any plumbing or refrigeration supply house. I have a 3" diameter tower from ACU and it came insulated with a length of 2" ID x 3/8" thick wall closed cell armorflex.

DSC02166.jpg

Wow, i have a 2 inch tower with only one hole for a faucet. You think i can drill another hole? I hadnt seen any 2 inch towers with more than one hole, I thought I would have to upgrade to a 3 inch.

cpbergie said:
Thanks!

Johnsma22, thats looks like a tight fit. Is that 3 elbo shanks in a 2 inch tower?

No, that is a 3" tower. In my previous post is stated that the foam piping insulation had an ID of 2" with a wall thickness of 3/8". It fits nice and tight in the 3" tower.

I was just curious if this insulation was enough to prevent the beer lines from warming up (I am getting too much foam) or did you also need to pump cold air into the tower with a fan?

Would stuffing attic insulation into the tower help keep the lines cool?

Thanks

Bobby_M said:
How long are your lines? You are using 3/16" ID right?
This is a good question. I just finished my tower (sans taps which are en route).

THis is a DIY 3" PVC unit and I'm wondering why the fuss about certain lengths of liquid line. My inclination is to use as short a hose as possible to get the freshest, coldest draw.

Can someone enlighten me on why I'm wrong on this?

Not challenging what's right...it just seems counter intuitive to have excess line coiled up inside the fridge...

DripTrays3.JPG

I'm using the 5 feet of 3/16" line that came with the tower. The tower is a two tap SS unit from Beverage Factory...there is a small amount of Styrofoam inside...not nearly enough for insulation IMO.

As far as the length, Beirmuncher, the length of line has to do with resistance vs. pressure and getting the right balance...

This page describes the balance required and how to do some calculations.

http://hbd.org/clubs/franklin/public_html/docs/balance.html

Back