Munich Helles Dead Guy Clone (Extract & AG- see note)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which do you recommend? The Safale Yeast or Wyeast Pacman? I know Rogue uses Pacman in most of their ales, but do you see a difference in either?

Too early to tell as the US05 batch got done much faster than the batch with the older, less-viable Pacman starter added. In fact, these probably won't even serve as good comparisons due to the age of the respective yeasts used. I'd have to do it again with new yeasts and another starter with the Pacman to really compare the two.

I will, however, definitely vouch for US05. It's always done great for me, especially with my extract batches of this recipe. AG sample tasted great (though not quite the same as extract versions) after crash cooling for a couple days and moving to the keg.

I had a few pints over the weekend from my first-run of this awesome recipe.

Kegged, this beer is excellent. This will certainly be part of my regular brewing schedule.

Yooper, you are the man. I've brewed two batches of this stuff so far and I have to say it is one of the best biers I have ever made. First batch lasted all of two weeks! The second is just about done and should be bottled in the next few days. I upped the Munich to 2.5lbs and used a pound of Caramunich and half a pound of 40 Crystal for the second go round (both batches were AG btw) and the hydro sample tastes phenomenol!

Ultravista-
I lost some of the sweetness that was present in the first batch. This second batch had a higher gravity than I was shooting for and of course more booze. 1st run og 1.070, second run 1.072 both finishing around 1.012-1.013. Not a huge jump but noticeable. I will most likely readjust the C40 for a little more sweetness, but I will hold off on that decision till the second batch properly ages in bottles. I can post both recipies if you'd like.

Yooper, you are the man.

Ok, if you so say so! :p

{Takes a peek. Nope, still a girl}

Yooper - have you made a batch if this lately? Any changes to the grist bill yet?

I haven't made it in quite a while, actually. We've become hopheads, and almost every beer is hoppy, or a "special" brew for the season or for friends. I really like it, and I have some pacman yeast, it just doesn't seem to come to mind much any more.

Ok, if you so say so! :p

{Takes a peek. Nope, still a girl}

I haven't made it in quite a while, actually. We've become hopheads, and almost every beer is hoppy, or a "special" brew for the season or for friends. I really like it, and I have some pacman yeast, it just doesn't seem to come to mind much any more.

.......I was waiting for this one.

hah! I stand corrected. no offense intended there. just a euphamism used to express your awesomeness...MS. Yooper.

Yooper - I would really like to try a Double Dead Guy, any ideas?

--------------------------------
Malts: C15, Rogue Micro Barley Farm Dare & Risk Malts
Hops: Crystal & Rogue Micro Hopyard Rebel Hops
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast and Free Range Coastal Water

Specs:
20º PLATO
60 IBU
78 AA
25º Lovibond

Someone did post a recipe but the hops were way off, 94 IBU vs 60 IBU.

Yooper - I would really like to try a Double Dead Guy, any ideas?

Malts: C15, Rogue Micro Barley Farm Dare & Risk Malts
Hops: Crystal & Rogue Micro Hopyard Rebel Hops
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast and Free Range Coastal Water

Specs:
20º PLATO
60 IBU
78 AA
25º Lovibond

Someone did post a recipe but the hops were way off, 94 IBU vs 60 IBU.

I've never had it, so I don't know what it tastes like. I don't think I've ever even seen it around in the stores I've been in!

Not that this recipe needs any more people to talk it up but I brewed this along with two other beers on Presidents day weekend and this one has been the universal favorite. It's not even gone yet and my brother in law asked me when I was going to brew it again.

Not that this recipe needs any more people to talk it up but I brewed this along with two other beers on Presidents day weekend and this one has been the universal favorite. It's not even gone yet and my brother in law asked me when I was going to brew it again.

I'm glad he likes it! We've really enjoyed it also over the years.

Yooper, have you tried making this a little hoppier? Per Rogue, the IBU is 40.

Have you considered a little more Pearle and Saaz to bring the numbers up? If so, how did it taste?

In Beersmith 1.4, your original recipe is right around 30 IBU.

Yooper, have you tried making this a little hoppier? Per Rogue, the IBU is 40.

Have you considered a little more Pearle and Saaz to bring the numbers up? If so, how did it taste?

In Beersmith 1.4, your original recipe is right around 30 IBU.

No, I didn't. I liked it with the original, so I didn't change it.

IBU is listed at 40, how would less than 30 taste the same? Assuming Pearle and Saaz, it should be far less hoppy than the original.

I have Yooper's recipe on tap right now. It is freakin awesome. I would like to get close to the original hop character though.

IBU is listed at 40, how would less than 30 taste the same? Assuming Pearle and Saaz, it should be far less hoppy than the original.

I have Yooper's recipe on tap right now. It is freakin awesome. I would like to get close to the original hop character though.

Well, remember that IBUs are different based on OG. Also, I use the Tinseth scale, but many breweries use Rager. One last thing- 5 IBUs is about the limit of human perception. So, I would guess you can't tell the difference between 32 IBUs and 37 IBUs anyway, and maybe they use a Rager scale? Or maybe their OG is 7 points higher (which would make the IBU/OG scale the same, but with different number)? Just a couple of thoughts!

I've been conversing with Joel, a brewer at Rogue, to determine which scale they use. He's been very helpful in a Double Dead Guy clone.

There's a huge difference in Rager to Tineseth.

This is such an awesome hobby!

I've had this on tap for a little while next to a generic "from a book" ESB... and wow... no comparison! I'm about to brew a second batch to keep my friends and family happy! Good thing I just got my fermentation chamber set up, or it'd be a tall order to fill. Going to try it with US-05 this time.

Reviews have ranged from the usual "you made this?" to "wow, this is really good" to "oh my God! Oh. My. GOD!"

I've had this on tap for a little while next to a generic "from a book" ESB... and wow... no comparison! I'm about to brew a second batch to keep my friends and family happy! Good thing I just got my fermentation chamber set up, or it'd be a tall order to fill. Going to try it with US-05 this time.

Reviews have ranged from the usual "you made this?" to "wow, this is really good" to "oh my God! Oh. My. GOD!"

Glad to hear it! This was one of the first brews that my BMC drinking friends really liked, probably because it's a great craft beer but not hoppy or "dark" like they think homebrew might be. I'm glad it worked out so well for you, too!

My batch of Yoopers DGA clone has been kegged for about a month now. It may be my imagination, but I think this tastes better the longer it ages.

This will certainly be on my rotation as a house beer.

I've made this a few times now, and am loving it! I'm brewing up a couple more batches of it (along with a couple other beers) this week to be kegged and served at my wedding in July!

Thanks Yooper.

Hi all, this is my first post but I've been avidly reading HBT, including all 35 pages of this thread!

I did my first batch of this recipe yesterday, which was my second AG. Other than my efficiency being lower than expected at 67% (compared to 77% on my first AG -- Edwort's Haus PA), brewday went pretty well.

My real question is about fermentation temps for US-05. This is my first batch using a temp chamber, so I've never actually fermented this cool. I cooled to 65, hit it with 30 seconds of O2, and pitched the rehydrated yeast. I then set it to 62.5 and it overshot down to about 60, but is now holding 61-63. After 14 hours, I see no signs of fermentation. I've never had a fermentation take so long to start, but then I've never fermented below about 68, either.

Have all you other folks using US-05 gotten fermentation to start at 60-62? Should I bring it up to 65 or higher until it starts and then slowly bring it back down, or should I just RDWAHAHB and wait?

Thanks! I'm really excited about this recipe!

Hi all, this is my first post but I've been avidly reading HBT, including all 35 pages of this thread!

I did my first batch of this recipe yesterday, which was my second AG. Other than my efficiency being lower than expected at 67% (compared to 77% on my first AG -- Edwort's Haus PA), brewday went pretty well.

My real question is about fermentation temps for US-05. This is my first batch using a temp chamber, so I've never actually fermented this cool. I cooled to 65, hit it with 30 seconds of O2, and pitched the rehydrated yeast. I then set it to 62.5 and it overshot down to about 60, but is now holding 61-63. After 14 hours, I see no signs of fermentation. I've never had a fermentation take so long to start, but then I've never fermented below about 68, either.

Have all you other folks using US-05 gotten fermentation to start at 60-62? Should I bring it up to 65 or higher until it starts and then slowly bring it back down, or should I just RDWAHAHB and wait?

Thanks! I'm really excited about this recipe!

I'd probably go ahead and keep the S05 at 65 degrees. I've heard it can throw some "peachy" esters below 65 degrees. 65 degrees should give you a nice clean fermentation.

As with most of my beers, I pull the chiller out and pitch when the temperature goes below 70F. My basement will run in the low '60s for most of the time I ferment (3-4 weeks, then right to the bottle). My batch of the Undead Guy was great to start with, and, as was stated in a previous post, I believe it's just gotten better with time. Sadly, I'm down to my last 6, and pretty much done with Spring brewing. It'll be first on the list for Fall.

So I did this recipe 2 weeks ago using the European ale yeast and ive hit an apparently common barrier that my fermentation has stalled at 1.030. I roused the yeast and checked again yesterday and nothing had changed, so I moved the fermenter out of the water bath that had been keeping it at about 66. If this doesn't reinvigorate the yeast what are my options? I think I read others pitching a packet of dry yeast and just want to know if any others encountered this problem.

Thanks. Just checking. I just got everything getting ready to do this one. Can't wait!!

Just updating that taking the bucket out of the bath appears to have helped. The gravity is down to 1.025. Figure I'll let it sit another two weeks and check then. Sample tastes great tho. Super malty

Did my first all grain last night with the 14.5 lb grain bill and pacific ale yeast. My effieciency must be off and my mash was a little high 160. Color was great, OG was 1.060. In the carboy now.

Joe

doing third batch today .. modified the grain/hop bill

9 lbs 2 row pale
1.5 lbs carastan
3 lbs munich

mash @ 1.5 qts/lb @ 156

using Mt Hood instead of Perle (LHBS had no Perle) , and US-05 instead of Pacman

So, maybe this is more of a zombie-dead guy , but I think it should turn out ok

After just under two weeks, my fg is down to 1.008 from 1.066. This pacman yeast is one hungry bugger! The sample tastes okay but really alcoholic. I'm hoping this mellows out as I was looking for a nice malty beer.

After just under two weeks, my fg is down to 1.008 from 1.066. This pacman yeast is one hungry bugger! The sample tastes okay but really alcoholic. I'm hoping this mellows out as I was looking for a nice malty beer.

Where did you get the pacman ?

I racked to a secondary for 7 days and racked into the keg 3 days ago. Had my first pull. Still young. Good beer but I am not getting the dead guy signature taste. Abv ended up at 6.5 and the color is right. Pacman yeast add definite flavor as I used wl pacific ale yeast. Like I said tastes great just not dead guy. Any thoughts.

Joe

Back