Blue moon clone w/honey or summer ale w/honey?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lind13

Reaction score
I am looking to do my second all grain batch and would love to try using some honey! A friend of mine has his own fresh honey so I intend to brew with about 3lbs this weekend. I love a cold blue moon but I'm not sure using an extract recipe for it and honey would be that good. I have never brewed that or a summer ale (did about 8 or so extracts of various and just moved all grain) this will also be the first beer I keg! I am looking for something crisp to get me excited for the hopefully soon to come weather! Any suggestions?!!

You could do a Wheat beer. I tossed in an ounce of corriander and an ounce of sweet orange peel in last 15 of the boil. Then did another ounce of corriander in the secondary for an additional week. Came out almost identical to ShockTop. Very crisp finish. Maybe you could use the honey in the last 15 minutes also to give it some nice floral notes. That's the fun of brewing, you can go as crazy as you want.

Hmm I really love shock top so I may have to look into that, I don't think much is better than shock top on tap!

I just brewed a Honey Lager extract kit from my LHBS. It's fairly simple and the wort was pretty damn tasty. It called for using a Wyeast 2112 California Common yeast so you don't have worry about getting down to lagering temps. It's also DME not LME.

Is there an all grain for that recipe, i have actually been thinking about doing a cali common because i dont have the ability to lager. I think you just inspired my brew this weekend! I love me some lager. Was only looking into blue moon because my girlfriends brother is getting married and wondered if i could keg something similar for him, but my taste buds come first!!

Is there an all grain for that recipe, i have actually been thinking about doing a cali common because i dont have the ability to lager. I think you just inspired my brew this weekend! I love me some lager. Was only looking into blue moon because my girlfriends brother is getting married and wondered if i could keg something similar for him, but my taste buds come first!!

I Just kegged 15 gallons of a blue moon clone for a friends wedding.It is very good ( drinking a bottled one right now as a matter of fact) I have made it several times now and it is easy and very tasty. No idea about adding the honey but followed the recipe WAYNE gave me via PM and it was simple and easy..if you are intereted I will give you the recipe.

BLUE MOON CLONE 3-23-11
5 LB 2 ROW
4 LB WHITE WHEAT MALT
1 LB FLAKED OATS( I use quaker oats)
.5 LB RICE HULLS
Mashed with 1.25 qts per lb of grain at 154 degrees for 60 minutes.
Double sparged to 6 gallons .( I lose 1 gallon an hour in the boil)
60 minute boil
1 oz hallertau @ 60
.17 oz coriander @15
.5 oz Valencia orange peel at 5
Pitched s-05

I use washed yeast with starters, and keep the temp down in the mid to low 60's with a swamp cooler. it is an easy recipe,

How do you do the orange peel? Do you just buy an orange and do what to it? Or do you buy it at the LHBS? And what kind of wyeast would I use??

It's a recipe from one of their kits, it's greatfermentations.com Maybe if you call them they can point you in the right direction. I just got into this myself and have not started venturing towards all grain yet. I miss the part in your original post about all grain sorry.

I believe OHIOSTEVE used some McCormick Valencia Orange Peel. This should be available at a local grocery store. I believe even Wal-Mart carries it.

Safale S-05 is the dry yeast version of Wyeast 1056 or White Labs WLP001. All three are supposed to be the same yeast used by Sierra Nevada.

I would not suggest using any honey in this recipe the first time you brew it. Honey ferments out completely. You would not get much flavor contribution. Just increased alcohol and a very dry finish.

I would suggest brewing the recipe OHIOSTEVE posted as is, first. That way you will have a reference. Then the next time you brew it, you can try some variations. You can learn for yourself what different amounts of honey does to the flavor of the beer.

Make sure you soak the rice hulls in warm water for at least a couple of hours before you use them in your mash. They do tend to absorb quite a bit of liquid. If you just add them in dry, you will come up short on the liquor in your kettle.

I believe OHIOSTEVE used some McCormick Valencia Orange Peel. This should be available at a local grocery store. I believe even Wal-Mart carries it.

Safale S-05 is the dry yeast version of Wyeast 1056 or White Labs WLP001. All three are supposed to be the same yeast used by Sierra Nevada.

I would not suggest using any honey in this recipe the first time you brew it. Honey ferments out completely. You would not get much flavor contribution. Just increased alcohol and a very dry finish.

I would suggest brewing the recipe OHIOSTEVE posted as is, first. That way you will have a reference. Then the next time you brew it, you can try some variations. You can learn for yourself what different amounts of honey does to the flavor of the beer.

Make sure you soak the rice hulls in warm water for at least a couple of hours before you use them in your mash. They do tend to absorb quite a bit of liquid. If you just add them in dry, you will come up short on the liquor in your kettle.

Thanks again for the recipe. I'm going to be brewing this as soon as I get a chance to get over to the LHBS. They have both sweet and bitter dry orange peel so I'll pick up the sweet one which should be valencia or a reasonable facimile. It's only 2.50 for 2 ounces so pretty economical compared to the McCormicks.

I agree completely about the honey. If you wouldn't add 2.5 lbs of table sugar to your brew you probably don't want to add 3 lbs of honey. New brewers are obsessed with using honey for some reason. I used it once and that was the first and last time. The honey ale is okay, but not as good as every other batch I have made without it.

HEY WAYNE!!! The brew is a huge hit and the most requested one I make....yes I just use the McCormicks valencia orange peel.The orange taste is not subtle at 1/2 oz but not knock you in the head either....You know I never soaked the rice hulls, just figured em in the mash volume...no wonder my volumes ger wonky at times if I use em. Thanks for that tip.

One quick note, the form your spice is in will have a difference in the amount you use.

The homebrew store's sweet orange peel

image.php

is quite different than the preground spice that was used by OHIOSTEVE

Orange-Peel-Valencia.ashx

You will have to use a different amount to get the same flavor.

In this case, I think it might be worth the few dollars extra to know that you will get the same flavor OHIOSTEVE talks about.

Same thing with the coriander. Ground coriander is what you want to use. Again, this should be available in any market of specialty spice shop. I have heard tell that grinding it right before you use it will give off the freshest flavor. I am not sure how much you would need to add or cut back if you choose to use fresh ground. You can buy coriander seeds and grind them in a clean coffee mill.

The emphasis of this beer is on the interplay between the spices, the sweetness of the barley, the smoothness of the oats, the nuttiness of the wheat and the very mild bitter from the hops to balance the sweet of the malts. It is a fairly delicate beer and any deviation from the recipe will change that subtle balance.

Make it once. See how it turns out in your system and then SLOWLY make changes one at a time to get it closer to the flavors you prefer.

Cheers,
Wayne

One quick note, the form your spice is in will have a difference in the amount you use.

The homebrew store's sweet orange peel

image.php

is quite different than the preground spice that was used by OHIOSTEVE

Orange-Peel-Valencia.ashx

You will have to use a different amount to get the same flavor.

In this case, I think it might be worth the few dollars extra to know that you will get the same flavor OHIOSTEVE talks about.

Same thing with the coriander. Ground coriander is what you want to use. Again, this should be available in any market of specialty spice shop. I have heard tell that grinding it right before you use it will give off the freshest flavor. I am not sure how much you would need to add or cut back if you choose to use fresh ground. You can buy coriander seeds and grind them in a clean coffee mill.

The emphasis of this beer is on the interplay between the spices, the sweetness of the barley, the smoothness of the oats, the nuttiness of the wheat and the very mild bitter from the hops to balance the sweet of the malts. It is a fairly delicate beer and any deviation from the recipe will change that subtle balance.

Make it once. See how it turns out in your system and then SLOWLY make changes one at a time to get it closer to the flavors you prefer.

Cheers,
Wayne

Thanks mate, it's awesome getting tips from the source!! So if I was going to use the HBS sweet orange how much do you think I should use, double maybe. I suppose I should just get the McCorrmicks to be sure. As far as the corriander, I use it commonly in cooking so have a bottle in my spice cabinet but you only use a very little at a time so it is probably at least 6 months old. Do you think I should buy a new bottle? I also don't have any Halertauer hops but have lots of hops on hand I am trying to use up so was going to match the AA and just use a fairly mild neutral hop like sterling or maybe glacier since I have a lot of both of those. Since there is only a bittering addition do you think that would make much or any difference?

My best suggestion is to use the freshest spices possible. The McCormick may not be the freshest, but it is a known quantity. Perhaps plan on brewing two batches and use the McCormick in one and the LHBS sweet orange peel in the other and compare. That way you will know for certain what the differences are and how to adjust for the next brew.

Try to search out a spice shop that will sell the coriander seeds by the ounce. Grind them yourself, if possible. That way you will have the fresh flavor in your beer.

The Noble hop taste and flavor does come through in this beer. Hallertauer is the preferred hop to use. Of the two you mentioned, the Sterling would be the better choice. You want to try to hit around 17.5 IBU. I usually boiled for 90 min.

So I just brewed the blue moon clone yesterday! OG was right at 1.057 and pitched my yeast around 74 degrees. I am fermenting in my basement at temps between 64-67. I have to go out of town on Saturday so exactly 1 week from when I started fermentation. OHIO how long were your fermentation periods on average for this? I used wyeast 1056. At these temps do you think I'm likely to be done?? Lol. And should I toss it into secondary? Or just keg the bad boy?

So I just brewed the blue moon clone yesterday! OG was right at 1.057 and pitched my yeast around 74 degrees. I am fermenting in my basement at temps between 64-67. I have to go out of town on Saturday so exactly 1 week from when I started fermentation. OHIO how long were your fermentation periods on average for this? I used wyeast 1056. At these temps do you think I'm likely to be done?? Lol. And should I toss it into secondary? Or just keg the bad boy?

You are talking to a rookie.. I just do what the smart guys tell me to. I have no idea about your yeast as I use S-05 for this per Waynes instructions.. I usually do at least 2 weeks in primary( more like 3+) then cold crash it ( I know its a wheat beer but I crash everything). BUT to be honest the airlock is usually dead by a week.

Ahh no worries. They are essentially the same yeast. One is just liquid. Ill probably just leave it in primary for an extra week then

I would leave it on the yeast for two weeks total. At that point, you should be certain that all the sugars have been consumed by your yeast.

You can then keg it, bottle it or transfer it to conditioning for an additional week. The conditioning can be done at your cellar temp or at 40 F. Your choice.

I have been fermenting for a couple
Days now, took a look at it and was wondering if this is just normal krausen? I used some honey in my batch and have never used coriander or orange. This is definatelty the gnarliest lookin krausen I have run into! Not really thinking it's contaminated just wondering if it's some normal looking disgusting but hopefully delicious beer!
Thanks

image-2619946882.jpg

image-784357619.jpg

Okay, settled on my partial mash version of this. My ratios will be off a bit so not completely accurate but should be a fair approximation and tasty none the less.

Mash:

3 lbs 2 row Great Western
2.5 lbs white wheat
1 lb rolled oats

Mash will be BIAB 70 minutes @ 151 in 3 gallons then Multi-Dunk/stir sparge for 5 minutes, drain, then again dunk/stir sparge for another 5 minutes in separate pot with 2 gallons 170 degree water.

Total post sparge boil size 4.5 gallon.
Add 2 lbs Briess Pilsen ultralight LME
60 minute boil with 1 oz Sterling 6.5%AA
1 tsp corriander 10 minutes
1/2 tsp McCorrmicks Sweet Orange Peel at 5 minutes.

Top off to 5.5 gallons pitch 1 pack rehydrated Nottingham Dry Ale yeast at around 78 degrees

Ferment 2-3 weeks at 69-70 degrees.

Prime with 2/3 cup light DME. Bottle condition 2 weeks at 75 degrees.

Hows this sound? A couple of questions on milling the grains. According to MoreBeer the white wheat malt is large so you can mill at same setting as 2 row, is this correct?. Also is there any need to put the flaked oats through the mill or just add them as is?

Thanks, Kevin

Bewed up a partial mash BIAB batch today with a couple of changes to my plan that I posted previously. The changes I made was I only used 14 oz of oats instead of a full 1 lb because they came in a 42 oz carton so this way I can get 3 even batches from it. Also I used Notty instead of US-05 since I plan to pour a batch of Kolsch wort on top of the yeast cake and ferment that in the high 50's so I think the Notty will be better for that batch and any neutral ale yeast should work well for the the Blue Moon clone. Also I had originally planned to use 3 lb 2 row but dropped it to 2.5 because I want to keep the ABV down and also it will help with the Barley to wheat and oats ratio.

Grain Bill ended up being:

2.5# 2 row
2.5# white wheat
14 oz quick oats

70 minute mash at 154

80 minute boil added 1 oz Sterling 7%AA at 60 minutes
Added 2 LB Pilsner LME at 40 minutes
Added 1.25 tsp coriander at 10 minutes
Added .5 tsp McCorrmicks Valencia Orange peel at 5 minutes
No clarifying agent

Pitched rehydrated Notty at about 75 degrees. Plan to ferment at around 69 degrees or so. I will probably bottle after 2 weeks in primary. I might keg it if I get lazy but figure if there is any beer that I should bottle it is a wheat where having some yeast in the glass is preferable. I'll update once It's ready to drink.

Thanks again to Wayne and Ohiosteve.

Back