wyeast yeast packet not pop when pitched

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul7

Reaction score
so i just finished brewing my newest batch, i thought i had popped the inner yeast packet, but upon pitching i found the the inner yeast packet had not been popped, so i went ahead a cut the inner packet open and pitched it directly into the wort.

so what should i expect now? a longer fermentation?

should i go ahead and drive to my lhbs and buy more yeast,and make sure i pop the inner packet and repitch?

thanks for the feedback.

From the horse's mouth.

From the Wyeast FAQ website:

3. Does the package need to be fully swollen before pitching?

No, The package can be pitched before activating, or at anytime during the activation process. The activation process "jump starts" the culture's metabolism, minimizing the lag phase.

You don't even really have to smack if you don't want to if you are making a starter, but you definitely don't need to wait for it to inflate. Since you didn't make a starter, you will probably have a longer lag, regardless of whether or not the packet expanded.

How hard did you smack it? I pitched my first wyeast packet a few weeks ago and i thought i really laid into the packet but i guess i was wrong. The little nutrient pack was still full and unbroken. I pitched both the yeast and the nutrient pack into the beer and i had heavy bubbling at 48hrs. Needless to say i think it should be called a punch pack instead of a smack pack.

How hard did you smack it? I pitched my first wyeast packet a few weeks ago and i thought i really laid into the packet but i guess i was wrong. The little nutrient pack was still full and unbroken. I pitched both the yeast and the nutrient pack into the beer and i had heavy bubbling at 48hrs. Needless to say i think it should be called a punch pack instead of a smack pack.

for real! the packet was already a bit swollen during my many attempts to pop it, i was beating the hell out of this thing and thought i popped it, it even started swelling alot while it was sitting on the counter during the boil. i guess it was hard to tell since it was swollen already.

the hardest part is gettin that slippery little sucker in the corner - once cornered beat it like it owes you money

the hardest part is gettin that slippery little sucker in the corner - once cornered beat it like it owes you money

The first time I read this is sounded dirty, I was about to haul it off to the memorable quotes thread, for some reason my mind translated beat it like it owes you money, into something about spanking monkeys....LOL

I think it has something to do with the fan crub thread....too much of her on the brain...:)

I did not correctly pop or allow the package to swell on my first batch and I believe it had something to do with my beer being EXPLOSIVE when I opened the bottles for the first time. I believe there was still too much active yeast!

That wouldn't have anything to do with the pitched yeast but bottling too soon or too much priming sugar. The yeast is only as active if there is an abundance of food present. Like my morning productivity is based solely on the amount of coffee i drink.

i wonder just how hard you cant beat the smack pack before the whole thing explodes. i felt like i was really hammering the damn thing,

anyone know just how much force the container can handle?

Back