want to add coffee grounds to boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigjuicy

Reaction score
Im planning on adding 5 tbls of coffee grounds to my wort at the last minute. Could i just add them directly to the wort, whirlpool then siphon through a strainer or will i need to use a hop bag or some other kind of retainer?

You'll likely get 10 different answers and I doubt none are wrong.

+1 on adding coffee post boil. I'd brew the coffee then add it.

I've added coffee a few ways.

Mash
Boil
Bottle

The most successful was adding the coffee at the mash. The coffee flavor was intense but still smooth. Adding the coffee during the boil the coffee was strong and harsh. You can also add brewed coffee at bottling time. I did that too but the flavor was mild. I may just not have added enough though.

Coffee isn't brewed at boiling temps. I think the ideal temp is about 190. Maybe you could try to add it after flameout but before chilling. I think just adding brewed coffee would be easier. If you want to purest coffee flavor try a french press. The ones sold at Starbucks aren't better, just more expensive.

I've added coffee a few ways.

Mash
Boil
Bottle

The most successful was adding the coffee at the mash. The coffee flavor was intense but still smooth. Adding the coffee during the boil the coffee was strong and harsh. You can also add brewed coffee at bottling time. I did that too but the flavor was mild. I may just not have added enough though.

When you add it to the mash, how do you add it? Coffee grounds, liquid coffee?

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

I've done a few things too. And heard a few things.

1) I've added during last bit of the boil and the coffee flavor was acidic and overly strong.
2) I've added at transfer to secondary after using a French Press and only slightly warm water. I let the coffee steep for at least a half an hour. I've heard that this adds a lot of aroma but not all that much flavor.
3) I've added crushed beans 12 hours before bottling. I've heard that this adds a lot of flavor.

On the last coffee beer I made I actually combined 2 and 3. I did half of the coffee I was planning on using for step 2 and the other half for step 3. The beer turned out wonderfully.

I will also agree with a previous post that coffee is not at its best when boiled (and I knew this but made a beer doing that anyway). It releases a lot of acid which hurts the flavor.

I would also recommend always using some kind of a bag with coffee. The beans and grinds can and do float so even a siphon won't get everything. And when that junk gets in a bottling wand.....

You don't want to steep the ground coffee for a half hour in a french press. You want to be at about 4-5 minutes. Overextracting coffee will make it very bitter.

You don't want to steep the ground coffee for a half hour in a french press. You want to be at about 4-5 minutes. Overextracting coffee will make it very bitter.

In hot water you are exactly right. Heat is a part of that extraction process. When the water is not hot then it takes much longer.

The roast of the bean will make a big difference on the acidity and oils. French Roast, for instance, is a very oily roast. If you have a local roaster then they could work with you on the best possible balance of acidity, flavor and oil.

As for brewing with coffee beans, never done it.

I roast my own coffee too so i know the ideal temp of coffee is 205. I think im gonna brew it first then add it

I've done a few things too. And heard a few things.

1) I've added during last bit of the boil and the coffee flavor was acidic and overly strong.
2) I've added at transfer to secondary after using a French Press and only slightly warm water. I let the coffee steep for at least a half an hour. I've heard that this adds a lot of aroma but not all that much flavor.
3) I've added crushed beans 12 hours before bottling. I've heard that this adds a lot of flavor.

On the last coffee beer I made I actually combined 2 and 3. I did half of the coffee I was planning on using for step 2 and the other half for step 3. The beer turned out wonderfully.

I will also agree with a previous post that coffee is not at its best when boiled (and I knew this but made a beer doing that anyway). It releases a lot of acid which hurts the flavor.

I would also recommend always using some kind of a bag with coffee. The beans and grinds can and do float so even a siphon won't get everything. And when that junk gets in a bottling wand.....

Thanks for the info. One beer I am looking forward to making is a coffee porter of a coffee stout (not sure which yet...) I will try your combo idea when I make it.

The roast of the bean will make a big difference on the acidity and oils. French Roast, for instance, is a very oily roast. If you have a local roaster then they could work with you on the best possible balance of acidity, flavor and oil.

As for brewing with coffee beans, never done it.

This is true. I often go to a local market where I can see and smell the beans and this, of course, is for my regular coffee too. Though it is expensive, my last beer included some Jamaican Blue Mountain: low acid and lots of chocolate flavors. I also used some standard old Starbucks Espresso Roast.

You get good results by cold-brewing the coffee and adding it during packaging.

I agree. Cooler water will give better coffee flavor without the harsh flavors coming out. Adding during the bottling process should also help with giving plenty of flavor.

Another note...if you want the caffeine to have an effect, the lighter roast coffees have more caffeine than dark roasts. According to the guy at the coffee shop, anyway...I have not researched this.

I brewed 16 oz espresso and added it to my bottling bucket. My
espresso Porter turned out fabulous.

NRS

Cold brewing reduces bitterness and extraction of oils in the bean that will effect head retention. You can't go wrong with this method.

When I used warm water it wasn't over 100 degrees. I thought about cold brewing. I was told it would take at least a half an hour. I wanted a little more ooomph, so I used warm water.

chilort said:
When I used warm water it wasn't over 100 degrees. I thought about cold brewing. I was told it would take at least a half an hour. I wanted a little more ooomph, so I used warm water.

I understand that cold brewing takes closer to 24 hours. The result is like de-bittered coffee concentrate.
There's a device called a Toddy that cold brews a pound of coffee. I have not tried it, but friends have recommended it.

I understand that cold brewing takes closer to 24 hours. The result is like de-bittered coffee concentrate.
There's a device called a Toddy that cold brews a pound of coffee. I have not tried it, but friends have recommended it.

I've heard a couple of things. LHBS said a half an hour cold press would be enough. Then I read on here that it took much longer. I would guess that a 24 hour steep would make a wonderful flavor.

I'm far from a coffee expert but I've made a lot of coffee using a number of different methods, have read about the science of coffee (i.e. effects of pressure, temperature, and time), and really just kind of went with my gut. By using a warmer water I likely did get a little more acid but that was counter balanced by one of my coffees being a very low acid content coffee (the Blue Mountain).

So I guess it isn't as simple as "this is how you add coffee to a beer." It is going to depend on the overall effect you are going for and what bean you are using.

I just kicked a keg of my first attempt at a coffee porter and I was very, very pleased with the flavor. At the suggestion of my brew buddy who has quite a few coffee beers under his belt we put a little less than of a pound of Sumatra in a nylon grain bag. During cool down we watched for the temp to hit 190 and then dropped in the bag and let it steep until the temps hit about 140.

The flavor was awesome, coffee was definitely present in the flavor but not in any way dominant or overwhelming.

Hands down the best beer I have made in 2 years of brewing...

Back