Soda / RB bottling options...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ironman01

Reaction score
First, greetings all! After looking around for a while, this seemed like the best board out there on the topic, so though I would jump in... That being said, here is my question...

Would the pressurization levels from soda or root beer be too much for a typical wine cork, or would one have to go to a tighter fitting champagne cork set-up? I have a ton of empty wine and champagne bottles laying around (past decoration usage, not over consumption, I swear!), so I was thinking about using them to hold my brews. I don't THINK the pressure would be too much for a typical wine bottle, and pretty CERTAIN not for the champagne bottles. That established, I don't THINK the typical wine cork would yield to the carbonation pressure, but I just can't convince myself. Yes, I know this is not the typical bottling set-up, but I have access to corkers of both types, and thought it might be neat to pop open a 750 or 1.5 of my latest, a cool presentation and something for the kids to drink while we adults are having a nice vino or bubbly. I apologize in advance if there is already a thread on this somethwere, but I didn't find one in my searchs. Thanks for your help!

No, wine bottles and corks will not handle soda pressures. Wine has to be seriously de-gassed before bottling or the corks pop. Champagne and sparkling wines run 70-90 psi, so the bottles be fine for soda.

Back