Ready to Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unfnole23

Reaction score
Very excited, i brewed an AHS summit IPA and today it hit target FG. I plan to keg on Saturday . I'm cleaning the lines etc today. I've never kegged before and had a few questions, maybe even instruction. How does kegging vs bottling work in terms of conditioning the beer? For instance, after a couple weeks in the bottle the brew tastes much better than when it was bottled. Will 3-4 days in the keg do the same thing?

I let my beer sit at serving psi in the fridge for a week before drinking it. It does seem to taste beer after 2 weeks though.

I was told 30 carbing 5-10 to serve? I just racked my first batch ever to keg lastnight and set it to 30 because I remember somebody saying that there.

For me there is no difference between Carbonating and Serving psi. I just set it to serving psi and wait a week.

a balanced system will use the same psi to carb as it is to serve. You can burst carb faster with the higher pressure, but the beer benefits from waiting anyway. I run 11psi at 40°. Let sit 1.5-2 weeks before I start pulling beer.
PSI depends on temp, volumes you're going for and your line length goes off those two once figured out.

So you keep the fridge on during carbonating? I'm thinking a week at 42 degrees at 15 psi, then down to 12 for serving

Yep my keg is in the fridge in the kitchen along with the food.

Think of you keg like a crock pot....set it and forget it...1.5-2 weeks

Next batch I am going to do that, since I have nothing in the bottle, and nothing on tap I am going to rush this one along a bit. What I really need I think is a 3rd keg to have a beer conditioning in the closet while I kill one of the two others on tap.

Back