Adding Dextrose to Primary Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I have a IIPA (1.075 OG) that is currently fermenting. The recipe calls for 2# dextrose to be added to the boil, which would have raised the OG up over 1.090....but I did not add it to the boil, instead I am waiting to add it to the primary fermenter after most of the maltose has been consumed.

I am going to add the sugar in two one pound increments, boiled in two cups of water each time to ensure that I do not get an infection.

My quesiton is this:

Do I just pour the cooled simple syrup into the fermenter or do I pour it in and stir it up?

Just pour it in, the yeast will find it, and you might not need 2 cups of water. Use just enough to get it dissolved.

Just pour it in, the yeast will find it, and you might not need 2 cups of water. Use just enough to get it dissolved.

I used about 10 oz of water to dissolve the sugar, I cooled it down and just poured it in.

I don't think it too 30 minutes for the temperature in my fermenter to start to rise and a significant increase in C02 production was clearly evident. I had some happy yeast for sure.

Back