Ugh, some people just kill me!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bknifefight

Reaction score
Not long ago I ran into some people I knew in a local bar. The topic of homebrewing came up and this guy, Chuck says that he has done it before. We start talking and he tells me one horrible story.

He had a Mr Beer kit and brewed up their stout. While having a party, he ran out of beer and decided to try out his stout, still in the fermenter. Instead of pouring a glass he attached some tubing to the faucet, put the Mr Beer keg on his shoulder and proceeded to walk around the party with the tube in his mouth drinking it that way. At the end of the night he dumped the rest.

Chuck is the kind of guy who thinks excess and disregard are cool I guess but this story I could not believe. I asked him how the trub tasted. He said that since it was a stout that the trub and it being uncarbonated didn't matter at all. I beg to differ. But to each their own, I suppose.

It's actually not unheard of to have a beer served with a side shot of trub/yeast. Some drop it into their beers, other shoot it straight, others pass.

To each their own as you say.

And, traditionally, Stout wo9uld have been served in a very similar manner. Straight from a cask with only the carbonation in solution from the fermentation. Some might consider, except for the Mr Beer keg, what he was doing to be a throw back and the only way to consume REAL BEER.

Maybe check CAMRA a time or two.

Sure, the guy sounds like a *****enozzle but, what he did is not so far fetched in the world of beer.

Well if he were to just drink it from the keg, sure I can see that. But he carried it around on his shoulder throughout the night splashing it every step he took. That is going to get more than a side shot of trub in each gulp.

What do you do when you run out of beer?

I am in the process of making sure I don't run out. My pipeline is slowly filling itself and I have 15 more gallons fermenting. When all is said and done, this question will not apply to me :rockin:

sad to say, I'll frequently go a month or more without consuming a single beer when I'm out of home brew. As money is usually pretty tight, I figure I'm better off buying things like food for the kids rather than beer, and it makes the home brew a much more special "treat" when I can afford to make a batch.

Back