Just crazy enough to work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian

Reaction score
I was going to post this one in the "weird @$$ ideas" forum but I can't find it . . .

So, I've got this kegerator project that I'm working on (I'll post pics later) and it got me thinking. If I've got a hole cut in the top of my chest freezer anyway, why not run a hose coming out of it to a computer fan to pull cool air out of it and blow it into an insulated fermentor box?

Here's a rough diagram of the thought:
1605-kegerator-fermenter.gif

feel free to tell me this is stupid or not. . . I was just thinking.

EDIT: I was thinking to have a thermostat on the fermenter box to tell the fan when to run or not.

I plan on doing somethiing simular at some point. The air would have to go both ways (circulate) or you will have a slight vacum in the chest freezer which will stall the air transfering to the fermentation box.
So you'll need two pipes. In and out.

I started thinking of doing something similar between a ferment box and outside in the winter, but I scored a freezer for $20 today that I will use as a dedicated lagering box. I agree with the above that you'll have to add a return duct. I'd suggest insulating the lines too and off course try running the circulating fan on a thermostat inside your ferment box.

Bobby

I was wondering about that. See, the hole in the chest freezer is likely to not be airtight - I'm not too worried about it as cool air sinks - and I was thinking that air might be drawn back into the keggerator through that. Although, this air would be warm and probably cause the freezer to work harder . . .

stuff to think about.

Maybe two fans, one in and one out both controlled by the thermostat. . . .

I'm guessing that you'll want some kind of duct bigger than a "siphon" hose, otherwise you ain't going to get much air moving through there. Something like this if you could find it cheaper.

I think I would run 2 rigid lines with flexible connection at the pivot point for the top of the freezer and then go into the back of your box. Your supply line could be 2" pvc and return could be 1" pvc. That way you would have pleny of volume but not a lot of pressure.

Just cut a port of any size you like in the side of your fermenter and one side of your freezer, say 8w x 12h or 12w x 12h or whatever. Then bolt the fermenter to the side of your freezer with a compressed freezer gasket between them and let them share the same air space. As long as the port between the two boxes is large enough, you won't need a fan. You've merely increased the capacity of your freezer by the capacity of your fermenting box.

I wouldn't bother making them separate chambers connected via insulated duct with forced air movement unless I had to for space reasons. As long as you've got the space to bolt on your fermenter, you might as well just directly share the freezer air space.

Oh, if you actually want to control the temperature separately, then make the port small (the size of a computer fan), bolt the box to the freezer, and let the fan and thermostat you mentioned sit between the two air spaces and regulate air passage to control temperature. Drill a small diameter hole apart from the fan hole to equalize pressure while the fan is running.

beer4breakfast said:
Just cut a port of any size you like in the side of your fermenter and one side of your freezer, say 8w x 12h or 12w x 12h or whatever. Then bolt the fermenter to the side of your freezer with a compressed freezer gasket between them and let them share the same air space. As long as the port between the two boxes is large enough, you won't need a fan. You've merely increased the capacity of your freezer by the capacity of your fermenting box.

I wouldn't bother making them separate chambers connected via insulated duct with forced air movement unless I had to for space reasons. As long as you've got the space to bolt on your fermenter, you might as well just directly share the freezer air space.

Oh, if you actually want to control the temperature separately, then make the port small (the size of a computer fan), bolt the box to the freezer, and let the fan and thermostat you mentioned sit between the two air spaces and regulate air passage to control temperature. Drill a small diameter hole apart from the fan hole to equalize pressure while the fan is running.

hmmm, now that is an interesting idea. But, I still want them to be separate. I'm going to have to move the kegerator from time to time so I plan to have it on casters. The whole thing needs to be detached.

Thanks guys, sounds like this might not be a bad idea after all.

Unless you got a frost free type freezer, anytime you are introducing fresh air into the system, your going to get frost, i.e. the humidity in the air. A totally closed system would work better and be a lot more efficient.

Right, a closed system would cause the compressor to run less often. You really need to use a thermostat to regulate when the circulation fan comes on or at the very least be able to regulate the fan speed manually. In any case, you def need a return line to equalize air pressure between the two boxes. Refridgeration and AC isn't about deliverying "cold" to places. It's about removing heat. Your return lines actually takes warm air out of the ferment box and into the main unit where the heat is removed.

Bobby

Back