Testing soil pH at home.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a cheap garden center soil pH tester and I have always suspected it's accuracy.

I have recently bought myself a Hanna "Checker" pH tester. And I am wondering if this is the proper method of testing my hop yard soils for pH.

I intend to take samples from each hill from about 2 or 3 Inches deep. I want to add the soil samples to water (distilled), shake them up, and then let the soil settle out sp I can then test the water (and not muck up my meter probe).

How much soil should I add to how much water to get a realistic reading?

You are on target-I would make a slurry of RO/distilled and as much soil as you can and still have a slurry, and not a soft clay.

I suspect I had an alkaline increase with daily watering with 7.6pH water and all the rain we had this year, which is at least 7.6pH here. I used some MirAcid twice, and saw some improvement. I have no tester at this time.:(

So, it's better to keep the soil in suspension during the test?

I was thinking more of a leeching from the soil and testing the water after the soil had settled out.

Shouldn't matter, either way. I just think with the thickest slurry you can prepare, check it directly and be done.

Try it both ways and I bet there's really no difference.

I will try it both ways.

I am just thinking the somewhat clear water will make cleaning MUCH, MUCH easier since I also plan to use the meter for other things, like beer/brewing.

Know what I mean?

Back