equipment question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zimmzala

Reaction score
So I have decided to switch over to all grain. Here are my questions for the experts. Oh yeah I am going to start with 2 coolers and BK, 3 tier.

1. Can you build a system cheaper than buying the "kit" at Midwest?

Deluxe All Grain Kewler Kit- 10 Gallon :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

2. How much grain can you fit into these I know that even heavy 5 gallon batches won't be a problem but what about 10 gallon?

Thanks and cheers

I'm not sure about how much grain they can hold, no volume amounts are given on the website, but most definitely "YES" on the question about saving money if you buy it yourself. (I might be missing something here, I'm shocked that the shipping is 100lbs for 2 coolers)

It will of course vary depending on the cooler you buy, but as a rough estimate:

• 2 Coolers - 60-70 bux
  • 2 ball valve setups - 30ish
  • Silicone Tubing - 20-25 (2.00 a foot from MoreBeer)
  • Manifold - 10 bux (Instead of a false bottom you could easily make a manifold from copper, cpvc, or a stainless hose braid.
  • Sparge arm - 5 - can make something out of left over parts from manifold

So at the high end, maybe 140-150 to make it yourself. However, I suspect you can make it much cheaper, I'm just guessing on the prices. As far as the tools required, you would need a hacksaw or copper tubing cutter to make the manifold, a drill and a small bit to drill holes in the manifold... that's about it.

Back